ACADDOC.lsp and LT?

Tiger

Hey-ho guys and gals!

I am trying to help a friend set up autoCAD LT for her company, and they basically need to use Profiles to move between computers.

We quickly realized that Profiles are not an option in LT.

We could however use Workspaces for most of the Layout settings.

But, and here's the question, stuff like DYN-settings, osnaps and the likes don't seem to be saved with Workspace, which is kinda logical. So how would one migrate those settings from one computer to another?

The idea that I had was to edit the ACADDOC.lsp file on each persons log-in on each computer so that it's loaded every time they log in. Would this work? I don't use LT myself so I have trouble testing the theory. I did learn that LT does not have the Load Application thing, so ACADDOC.lsp might not be an option?

Anyone have any idea how to do this?

I have a similar quandry to this work at work Tiger, where many users use LT.

I come up with a system of using script files (placing as much as you can into these and keep them on the network).

Then I would make Toolbars containing buttons that point to the different script files that were setup.

Unfortunately, I have found no 'easy' way of automating this process; other than tinkering around with the registry - this is something I am not comfortable doing; though I am restricted in any case by our IT policies of even doing that were I able to.

A lot of the settings are stored in the registry. You could just export everything from one computer's registry, then execute it from another file.

The other option is to compile everything into a .scr file.

But, and here's the question, stuff like DYN-settings, osnaps and the likes don't seem to be saved with Workspace, which is kinda logical. So how would one migrate those settings from one computer to another?

Drawing-saved sysvars can be set in the template drawing(s).

Registry saved or non-saved variables can be set with a script file.

...so ACADDOC.lsp might not be an option?

...Not even the standard ACAD.lsp? :?

No lisp support in LT, unless you purchase a 3rd party add-on. Read your EULA before doing so though.

So a script eh? Gonne have to explore that more then, thanks guys :)

Drawing-saved sysvars can be set in the template drawing(s).

Registry saved or non-saved variables can be set with a script file.

No lisp support in LT, unless you purchase a 3rd party add-on. Read your EULA before doing so though.

A personal template would be an idea as well then...

Nah, 3d party addon is not an option, I just haven't reflected that the standard acad.lsp is in fact a lisp...

Not to raise a stink but the EULA used to say that you could not re-sale. You legally can now, just a point of order ;)

I only mentioned the EULA in the context of 3rd party add-ons for LT.

As far as reselling, my 2010 EULA still forbids it without Autodesk approval. See section 3.2.3. Yes, I know about Vernor vs. Autodesk, but I have yet to see or hear about a successful transfer of license to another party...

I only mentioned the EULA in the context of 3rd party add-ons for LT.
I know, I was only pulling your chain ;)

As far as reselling, my 2010 EULA still forbids it without Autodesk approval. See section 3.2.3. Yes, I know about Vernor vs. Autodesk, but I have yet to see or hear about a successful transfer of license to another party...

Well no other court cases that I know either but you can find it on E-bay and the auctions are not getting pulled like they used to. I have pointed people to used copies and some have had success in it. As long as it is not an upgraded versions (someone upgrades to 2010 and sell their 2009 version for example) there should not be an issue.

Well no other court cases that I know either but you can find it on E-bay and the auctions are not getting pulled like they used to. I have pointed people to used copies and some have had success in it. As long as it is not an upgraded versions (someone upgrades to 2010 and sell their 2009 version for example) there should not be an issue.

So I can buy AutoCAD for US$4000 today, register it with Autodesk, use it for 3 months, then sell it on eBay for $xxx.. Can the purchaser get the license transferred into his/her name? Are the upgrade and support benefits transferred with the sale? In other words, does Autodesk recognize the transfer of "ownership"?

So I can buy AutoCAD for US$4000 today, register it with Autodesk, use it for 3 months, then sell it on eBay for $xxx.. Can the purchaser get the license transferred into his/her name? Are the upgrade and support benefits transferred with the sale? In other words, does Autodesk recognize the transfer of "ownership"?

I think you can now. This is what the court said you could do. They are being made to accept it. Well until AutoDesk gets a judge to reverse the others decision.

I think you can now. This is what the court said you could do. They are being made to accept it. Well until AutoDesk gets a judge to reverse the others decision.

I would be interested in reading about an actual case (other than vernor). My take on it is that you are free to sell, but Autodesk has no right to recognize anyone other than the original purchaser. For example, if you buy a car, the automaker may or may not transfer the warranty to a subsequent owner.

If I am right (just saying "if"), then not much has changed because people have been selling and buying AutoCAD for years... just not within the eyes and ears of Autodesk...

You could be right, but this is also not over by any means. I like AutoDesk's products but not they way they do business. But unlike just not having a warranty with your used car comparison versions r2005 and above you must register each time you install. This was not a problem with r2004 and below if you had a valid CD key. So it not quite the same as a car. I don't have to call GM to get permission to start the engine or to see if I can trade in for a newer model. :wink:

Being familiar with software I can't think of another company that does this. Even Apple and MS are not this bad (they have their own faults though). And yes before you say it one can always buy something else but for those of use that think AutoCAD is the best we have little choice. If a construction company has 10 seats and then they decide to shut down why should they not be allowed to sell their assets? Sure they can sell their CAD as part of their company but they might not want to go that route and just sell off parts to who ever. That's my POV, I guess we'll see what comes from all of this.

I would be interested in reading about an actual case (other than vernor). My take on it is that you are free to sell, but Autodesk has no right to recognize anyone other than the original purchaser. For example, if you buy a car, the automaker may or may not transfer the warranty to a subsequent owner.

If I am right (just saying "if"), then not much has changed because people have been selling and buying AutoCAD for years... just not within the eyes and ears of Autodesk...