Newbie - deciding which program would be best

Van Gone

Hi. Newbie here. I'm trying to get my foot in the door of a local aerospace company that is hiring draftsmen with AutoCAD experience. I have had drafting in high school (the old school way), and have a BFA degree in Graphic Design, and I have some computer skills - photoshop, html, php, etc.

I want to learn AutoCAD on my own (with the help of this site). Which version is best for rendering rockets, projectiles, etc?

Where can I get free downloads, if I'm not a student?

Thanks in advance.

Great site, btw . . . I like the trout. :D

Welcome to the forum Van Gone.

Do you happen to know if the aerospace company actually uses AutoCAD?

Is the creation and rendering of rockets and projectiles (sounds like a blast!) the only thing you would be doing with the program?

Free download of AutoCAD? Only a 30-day trial if you aren't a student.

Welcome to the forum Van Gone. - Thanks.

Do you happen to know if the aerospace company actually uses AutoCAD? - They mention 2D & 3D computerized drafting - no mention of AutoCAD per se.

Is the creation and rendering of rockets and projectiles (sounds like a blast!) the only thing you would be doing with the program? - That's all they make, so I assume that's all, as well as parts for the same.

Free download of AutoCAD? Only a 30-day trial if you aren't a student. - That will give me 30 days to learn it. :shock:

download some freeware CAD programs, but your gonna have to be doing a whole boat load of studying if you wanna go from old school design and some photoshop to aerospace CAD, like 6 months of solid study

and aerospace sounds like you should know a thing or two about physics to be creating rockets, at least physics 101, learning the path of a projectile

• 2 weeks later...

They may also be using Pro-Engineer, or Pro-Mech. A number of mechanical/aerospace firms use those programs as well. Good news, though. The programs are a blast to use!!! Good luck.

Oh, and you may wish to look at MATLab too. Not as graphically 'neat', but certainly useful on the analysis side of things.