"Null solid created - deleted" question

Glen Smith

I have been working on lofting a crane hook for my "Autocad-Beyond the basics" class. I finnaly got it looking like I want it to look, or mostly anyway, I have 2 pieces that I want to union together after having sliced them apart. But when I try to union two parts that have just been sliced apart I get an error message: "Null solid created - deleted" and the parts get deleted.

My instructor is puzzled as well.

For the record - today was the last class, I got my "certificate of completion" already.

The only grade I will get on this is personal satisfaction.

Perhaps most important - This drawing has been created on an Educational version of AutoCAD 2008. (Saved to 2004 format.)

DOH ... I tried saving out the parts in question but I'm still well over the 250k limit, I'll email it to anyone willing to take a look.

The hook in the back is a copy of what was sliced to create the hook in the middle that has been sliced into 3 parts. The portion in the front is a copy of the sliced off tip. When I attempt to union any 2 portions of the middle hook I get this error.

"Null solid created - deleted"

Can anybody explain to me why I can't union these parts?

My instructor suggested taking the tip and subtracting it from the whole, and that also causes the error message.

What am I doing wrong?

Glen Smith

union question small.jpg

i have no idea whats wrong if those solids are from the original one, only sliced.can you upload the cad file? i'll see what can i do. thanks