Using Xrefs to insert only desired layers

I am using xrefs to build 2-D assemblies. The problem is the individual drawings that compose any one assembly contain many uneeded layers. Such as cross section views that are not needed in the assembly drawing. My question is, is it possible to use xrefs to bring only desired layers in from another drawing and keep them linked like xrefs are? I know I can just turn off layers in my assembly drawings but I would prefer not to have an excessive number of unwanted layers in the assembly drawing as these drawings have many layers. Is this possible?

I dont think it is possible. My suggestion would be to to isolate the layers you want from the xref. Select them, copy with basepoint 0,0, and insert them in a new drawing at 0,0. that way you can only have the layers you want in the xref and the original is not messed with. Thats how we do it in our office anyway.

I am using xrefs to build 2-D assemblies. The problem is the individual drawings that compose any one assembly contain many uneeded layers. Such as cross section views that are not needed in the assembly drawing. My question is, is it possible to use xrefs to bring only desired layers in from another drawing and keep them linked like xrefs are? I know I can just turn off layers in my assembly drawings but I would prefer not to have an excessive number of unwanted layers in the assembly drawing as these drawings have many layers. Is this possible?

access the file through design center, you can insert all the desired layers from there.

I have tried using the Design center and I can get it to insert the layers however it does not insert any of the corresponding objects from those layers just the layer and its properties.

I have tried using the Design center and I can get it to insert the layers however it does not insert any of the corresponding objects from those layers just the layer and its properties.

yeah, that is what the design center does, I think alajnt misinterpreted your question a bit.

I agree with cpriedel that I don't think you cant just x-ref some layers, it's an all-or-nothing-approach. What you can do, if you often have the same names for the layers, is set up Layer States and/or Layer Groups so that just the layers you want are Thawed/On and visible in the lists.