Rib Section Problem

Laurel

This inventor drawing is one that I have submitted as part of a course I am attending. I have been asked to resubmit it with an amendment - The rib through which the section plane cuts, should not be hatched on the cross-section view.

Could someone please explain how I can achieve this, as I cannot seem to get inventor to produce this view.

Thanks.

Web Section.jpg

Are you familiar with the rules for section views with ribs?

Right click on the hatch and hide visibility.

Make sure the boundary of the view is highlighted and hit S on the keyboard.

Project Geometry and select the edges needed to rebuild boundary of rib. Right mouse button Done.

Add the sketch lines for the boundaries of the rib (you will probably want to change the line weight of the sketched boundaries as well).

Fill the bounded area with desired hatch. Exit sketch

If you can't figure it out attach your files here.

JD.

Could he just move the section line to the side of the rib?

chris

I guess that might work as an easy workaround - would require a couple of off-sheet views. The view on sheet should show the section line as he has it though.

I would have thought the original section is correct,why would he want a section that isnt true?

If you consult any drafting standards book it is standard practice to not show ribs in section even though the cutting plane goes through the rib.

The purpose is for clarity in conveying 3D information in a 2D medium (paper). Try it and you will see it does look much better aesthetically.

This is one of the arguments that those who don't know how to do 3D CAD will present against Inventor and the like - it won't create proper sections (actually SolidWorks will) according to standard practice.

Of course it can be done just takes a bit of user input.

Thank you everyone for your input (especially JD for showing me how to do this :) ).

It's alway nice when one of your posts starts a debate that might show other people how to do it too.

Here's my amended drawing.

Web Section 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...