3D problem with wormscrew drawing

orex

can someone please explain to me how do i create a 3D image for this thing?:cry:

img709 . imageshack . us /i/printscreenofautocad. jpg/****

my lec is making me nuts with this assignment! I keep sweeping the wormscrew fin but it wont fit to the core! plus i have to do the attachment for the fin! I`ve also create a 3D image line for the attachement but i cant create a solid... I would really appreciate your help...

this is the file

****://w w w . 4shared. c o m /file/170437445/9bb22462/exercise_336 . html****

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• orex

• JD Mather

• SEANT

• cangelo3D

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did try to do the helix and sweeping thing but it did`nt work.. I could cheat with the whole fin by overlaping it with its core but when it come to the attachment part it just wont work..

so that means that the autocad 2009 that i`ve been using cannot create the 3D image for that exercise?:? hmmm... how do I tell my cad lec about that? :P

Of course it can - if you know how.

I did try to do the helix and sweeping thing but it did`nt work.. I could cheat with the whole fin by overlaping it with its core but when it come to the attachment part it just wont work..

You haven't attached what you have done so far (the dwg). It will work if you know what you are doing. You might check the tutorials in my signature.

here is what i`ve done so far..

w w w .4shared. c o m/file/172578791/da175475/ANNOTE_WORMSCREW_WHITE_BG. html

my dateline is this friday so I would really appreatiate to know if anybody could teach me or solve it for me... and also my attachment are not that correct as the hole for the screw is a bit off.. thank you..

this is the 3d for the whole wormscrew.. but i havent finish it yet..

w w w .4shared. c o m/file/173210003/11127ed6/whole_worm_3d. html

kindly give your comment as for solution.. I would be very glad for your help..

This might help

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/CAD238/AutoCAD%202007%20Tutorial%204.pdf

not for a wormscrew, but a screw is a screw. For your need I would add material rather than cut as I did in the tutorial. What are the specs for your size and pitch?

Can you provide a bit more information on what this is for? For a worm gear? For a ball lead screw? For a scissors jack? For a machinist vise? Acme or square or ball profile? More information needed.

I think I would use a next-generation 3D CAD program for something like that. Students can download Autodesk Inventor for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

i totaly agree that this kind of programs are the most suitable for this kind of operations. My personal favourite though is ptc's ProE wildfire.

One suggestion that might help is making a helix and then use it as a path for extrusion. You can set heights, number of turns, turn heights etc really easy but you have to calculate them correct.

forgot to mention that it's very usefull to explode the helix because a spline will be created which is easy to use as extrusion path.

I don't understand why you would explode the helix or why you would use extrude rather than sweep? Can you attach an example?

well, i would have the job done, wouldn't i?

i just mentioned it as an alternative because obviously sweeping is the way to go but i have experianced problems in cases (even crashes) that i later worked out with similar non typical ways.

Exploding too has always come really handy.

This might help

(the link**)

not for a wormscrew, but a screw is a screw. For your need I would add material rather than cut as I did in the tutorial. What are the specs for your size and pitch?

Can you provide a bit more information on what this is for? For a worm gear? For a ball lead screw? For a scissors jack? For a machinist vise? Acme or square or ball profile? More information needed.

the wormscrew is use for a screwpress for oil extraction in nut factory..

i did try to cut the screw like you did in the tutorial but i got confuse as the wormscrew have different height for each fin plus the attachment and the different fin size..

the size and pitch is exactly the same as in my file that i attach... I`m not sure how the screw is used in the factory :P as in the question i received is 'to measure the actual wormscrew and put in in the autocad 2009 in 3D and 2D with annotation'.

well, i would have the job done, wouldn't i?

i just mentioned it as an alternative because obviously sweeping is the way to go but i have experianced problems in cases (even crashes) that i later worked out with similar non typical ways.

Exploding too has always come really handy.

oh come on.. I`m a beginner and I did 80% of the exercise already the only thing that left is the wormscrew 3D profile..

it doesnt hurt if you could help and it doesnt need to be my exercise.. you could always do it with your own spec so that I have to do my exercise on my own...

I want to know how to do it not that I want to be spoon feed with the answer without explaination...:P

I did 80% of the exercise already the only thing that left is the wormscrew 3D profile...

I would have approached it a little differentially... First creating the worm gear in 3D and using the model to get my plan views. It saves a lot of time and reduces the risk of errors.

Here I simply swept a profile along a helix and to make the screw and then used press-pull to extrude the shaft.

worm_screw.jpg

I`ve tried this approch i think... here is what happen..

if you look closely the gap there when the fin turns at the core.. I dont know what i did wrong maybe i got the calculation wrong or something since I only start using the autocad this year.. so if someone could guide me i woud be very glad..