How do I save down?

CadDan

I am in class and trying to save down from 2010 to an earlier version and can't find out how for the life of me. My classmates/teacher don't even know.

I'd like to save down from 2010 because I have 2010 on my laptop.

You cannot. As far as I know it's not possible to save for an older version.

This has two reasons I can think off. One is pure marketing, the other is

you can't create backward compatibility for future functions.

I think I figured out a way to do it. Although you loose some things.

I found this from searching different sites (I in no way take credit for this; Hence the quotes.):

"I wanted to add a "Revit Gem" of knowledge to this forum. It's commonly said you can't save a Revit file down to a previous version... and this is true. But depending on what you need you can save the entities in a Revit model created in a newer version down to a previous version.

Here is how you do it:

Use the IFC Export feature. You will lose some information and this works best for just the model itself, but if you took the time to model something in Revit and need to export it out to a previous version then using IFC Export (from the pulldown menu) should work well for you!

I figured this out largely on my own. IFC export is the easiest way to share files with AutoCAD Architecture (formerly Architectural Desktop) since both programs are now IFC complient. So why not use this same concept to share Revit Models between Revit versions? You can.

Warning: This may cause you to lose a level of information and your "entities/families" may have different names. But your Walls will still be Walls, Windows & Doors will still be Windows & Doors, and mass models and families will still be mass models and families. What you gain may be well worth any info you lose in this conversion."