set up paperspace, layers, dims, text

b.muqlueen

This is a bit of a late post.

Basically i only made one dwt template. Now it is time to set up right.

I do mostly 3d work, with the occasional 2d(hvac piping)

I want to make a template and do it right. And keep the size minimal size.(so when i have a problem i can post it here)

So basically i want one template, but i may need more. I just need a push in the right direction

I first mostly deal with a background,(that I xref.) I save the original. Then i change all the color of the background(usually architect, or sheet metal) color a dark gray. save that one as floor#bkrd(file name)Xref that. Not sure if that is the way i should do it.

For layers i need like 5 layers.

text and dim settings. one for paper space and one for model space.

paperspace. I need different paper sizes. The same title block(I usually just use a block that i take from a prior drawing) I am not sure whether i should use attributes. i need them scaled to different paper space sizes. (from 36x60, to 8.5x11) This is where i would need most of the advise. Efficiently and small file size is the key.

Thanx for anyhelp. you guys are the best.

After words I will post a sample.

uhm...I'm not really sure what you want the forum to do? From my point of view you know what you want the template to contain, so just go ahead and make a template that contains that...

well the mutiple paper spaces is confusing. different template for each?

same title block for each paper space at a different scale? Attributes?

save reusable text and dims format(paper and model)?

aha ok, now I see the questions.

Paper Space: I would keep it all in one template. Either have several Layouts in the different sizes, or do the needed sizes in the Page Setup Manger so that it's easy to change.

If you have the same title block in all, no matter what size, I think I'd do it in the Page Setup Manager, have it set to the most common Paper Size and have the title block already in place. Definatly attributes, much easier to change all the text stuffs then.

Setup your own dimstyles and save it to the template.

For the re-usable text - take a look into using a tool palette for that, pretty easy to set up... not that I could explain the process, but much drag-n-drop is involved.

What is the difference between reconciled layers and unreconciled layers?

Directly from Help

Reconcile New Layers

Unreconciled layers are new layers that have been added to the drawing and have not yet been acknowledged by the user and manually marked as reconciled.

Reconciling new layers is the process of manually reviewing new layers so that you can avoid potential errors before plotting your drawing or when restoring a layer state.

Unreconciled layers are new layers that have been added to the drawing or to attached xrefs since the layer list was last evaluated. The layer list is checked for new layers when a command, such as PLOT is used. In new drawings, the layer baseline is created when the drawing is saved or plotted for the first time. When a new drawing is first saved, the layer baseline is created, and all layers present in the saved drawing are considered reconciled (not new). Layers that are added after a drawing is first saved are considered new unreconciled layers.

NoteThe layer baseline is created when the LAYEREVAL system variable is set to 1 or 2.

When a command that is set in the Layer Settings dialog box or LAYEREVAL system variable is used, the layer list is checked at that time and compared to the baseline. If there are new layers, notification will display and the Unreconciled New Layers filter is automatically created and activated in the Layer Properties Manager.

Unreconciled layers become reconciled by right-clicking the layer and clicking the Reconcile Layer option. Once a layer has become reconciled, it is removed from the Unreconciled New Layers filter. After all new layers are reconciled, the Unreconciled New Layers filter is removed.

NoteYou can reconcile multiple unreconciled layers at the same time.

could some body tell me how to make this text have attributes.

sample title block

also can some one tell me in what range would be a good limits setting?

1. Attdef and/or Bedit

2. Limits aren't necessary unless you display a grid, I don't know of anyone that still uses Limits.

all so i cant get my control panel to save in my dwt. i closed and reload and my control panel is or tool palette is not the same. seems like default

aha, I assume that the Dashboards location and content is also saved in your Profile like Tool Palettes and such. Not something you can change with the Template then, but to setup a Profile (under Options >Profile) is just as easy if not easier

Save your Workspace

_WORKSPACE (or Tools > Workspaces)

and/or set it to auto save

_WSSETTINGS

thanx so much. i should of asked this months ago

also i get dwgs from another person where they have the model screen split in 2 with a top view on one side, and an iso view on the other side.

could some one tell me how to do that?