cad and illustrator further question

nmx009

hi! me again sorry folks, i have to continue a question which i posted a while ago about preserving autoCAD layers in illustrator, i was correctly informed before that illustrator preserves layers from cad, but, i have FIFTEEN layers in an autoCAD drawing some of these layers has like 30 lines on them, and i saved as .dwg file and opened it in illustrator, now, when i look in the layers pallate-block record dropdown , illustrator has given me a layer for each of the 30 lines that are on one layer in autoCAD, resulting in too many layers to work with.

i wonder could anyone tell me how i can open cad file in illustrator preserving the same amount of layers with all the information on them (eg the 30 lines on one layer in illustrator)?

cad 15 layers----to----illustrator 15 layers

cheers nmx

Good question. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you but I would be very interested to hear if anyone else does. It seems curious that Illustrator would create a layer for each object but that's exactly what it does.

just link the layers you want in illustrator and merge them, its really advanced enough that they illustrator even opens CAD files, being a vector based 2d program, theres gonna be something mixed up in translation