Fatal Error

BeGreen

I am working on project using Revit Architecture 2010 and Revit Structure 2010. Everything was working fine until I started to modify a wall in Revit Structure and I got the following error:

A fatal error has occurred. The application will be terminated. You will be given the opportunity to save recovery files for all of your changed projects.

I made the recovery file and sent the error report to Autodesk and was offered the following fix:

Autodesk Revit Structure 2010 Hotfix 2

Well, the link to hotfix 2 was broken, so I searched for it and found it, but the readme said that I needed to make sure that Upgrade 2 was already installed prior to installing the hotfix, so I followed the link to the upgrade - whose installation failed twice. Finally I was able to download and install the upgrade and then I downloaded and did the hotfix, but to no avail. I have tried using Revit Architecture to modify the wall or even delete it, but the very same process occurs "fatal error..." then hotfix 2...I can't modify this wall in either program without a fatal error occuring. I'm on a deadline and I need to be able to work on the project both structurally and architecturally, and I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.

The modification of a wall is causing a program fatal error. However, over New Years I had a few ideas to try and I think I've fixed the problem. I hope. Everytime I was trying to modify or delete the wall, it was in my First Floor Plan view, so this AM I tried going into my 3D view and deleting the wall, which did not cause a fatal error. However, when I switched views to my First Floor Plan, I got a message (not a typical Warming type message, but a regular computer type error in its own window) that said there was an error that had occurred with the First Floor Plan view and it needed to close. When I clicked OK, which was my only option, the program disappeared as if it was never even opened.

Then I tried opening the program and file again and deleting the First Floor Plan view and then going into the 3D view and deleting this problem wall. I then saved locally and to my central file, and closed the file. I opened it again and re-created the First Floor Plan view and everything appears to be ok.

So, I think a wall corrupted a view and therefore caused a whole file/program error. I'm hopeful that I don't have any further issues, but I'll wait and save frequently to see what happens.

An error like this could make it to the next level of help: Autodesk review.

First of all, you could try purging your projects and then do an audit and check your errors.

Secondly, you should contact your software vendor and let them know you are having this issue. I ran into a corruption issue and my vendor was able to poke around the project file and clean it up. If this was not successful, they would have sent the file to Autodesk to fix it.

Well, I had some ideas over my vacation on how to fix the problem and I tested them this morning. The first was to try and delete the wall in another view other than floor plan view. So, I used the 3D view and yes- I could delete the wall, however, when I switched to the floorplan view it gave me an error that there was an error with the first floor plan view and it needed to close. I clicked OK and the program disappeared as if I had never even opened it.

Then I tried deleting the First Floor PLan view and then deleting the wall in the 3d view and I was able to save and close normally. Then I went in and re-created the First Floor Plan view. This is the best I could come up with before I heard back from my Synergis Help Desk contact.

My Synergis guy told me that he had had the very same issue not that long ago and he contacted Autodesk when he was unable to find a fix. They provided him with the hotfix link and he said everythign has been fine since. However, because the link to the hotfix was broken and I searched for it, I had managed to use hotfix #1 when I had update 2 installed, which is why it didn't work. hotfix 1 only works with update 1, and so on. I now have update 3 installed and he sent me the link for hotfix#3 and everything seems to be fine, even though I had already deleted the view and the wall, so I can't be 100% that the hotfix actually fixed the view/wall fatal error; although I haven't had any issues since the hotfix.

I hate that unknown if the issue is really fixed or not.

I have "borked" some views before and deleting them eliminated whatever anomaly was plaguing my project.

Keep posting as you sort this out... maybe someone will be able to relate.