Floating Viewport Window for Dual Monitor setup?

jmott07

Is there a way to get a viewport to floating window that i can drag outside of AutoCAD. Specifically to another monitor on a dual screen setup? This way I can have my main 2d plan view in one screen and 3d view with toolbars etc. in the other.

I would span both with the entire program, but the two screens are different sizes, different native resolutions, and the tops and bottoms do not line up.

Thanks in advance for any info...:)

When I need to have two views up I usually open two instances of AutoCAD and have the same file open twice. As long as you remember where it is you do the changes it works :)

Thanks, Ok. I tried that and the other view doesnt update like it does when you have two viewports open in the same progam. Athough that is somewhat of a solution, is there any other way to have a floating viewport window or something similiar?

Thanks in advance.

No, since you have two instances of the drawing open, it does not update, there is no link between them. What you could do is have your drawing open in one instance of AutoCAD - then open another instance of AutoCAD and X-ref your drawing into anew dwg there, then you can manually update your view with a click of a button.

I don't know any way that you could have a Viewport displayed outside of the actual AutoCAD window.

According to AutoDesk...

"AutoCAD® does not include any built-in support for dual monitors. However, you can use a dual monitor configuration with AutoCAD, but the way it works is dependent on the"

• Operating system
  • Graphics card
  • Display driver