Drawing Checking and Approving

AJSmith

just want to pick your thoughts on drawing checking and approving procedures

currently in our title frames we have a drawn by, checked by and approved by box to be filled in with the relevent names of who did what commen sence.

we also have a revision box above with the same boxes.

now this is where i want your thought its my understanding that a drawing is drawn so the draftpersons name is put in the drawn by box its then checked so the checkers name goes in that box and its then approved so their name goes in the approved box but when a drawing is then revised i think than these boxes remain unchanged and the revision box is then used

am i thinking right or should the original names be replaced with the new names??

frame.jpg

we have removed the "original" set of signatures :) but when we had them we considered them as fixed. The revision boxes are filled in with THIS ISSUE detail.

so if the first drawing was drawn by 1 checked by 2 and approved by 3

rev A would be drawn by 4 signed by 5 approved by 6 with the same info in the revision box?

think paper systems rather than cad systems, and you'll find you need to put 'drawn', 'checked' and 'approved' in the revision boxes (mini title block with brief description of change)

the original ones shouldn't be tampered with, as any investigation into any errors in the original design could get messy. It's serious business btw - I was once handed photographs of a factory fire and set the task of locating all of our original drawings, to prove that that client had uprated the motors without uprating the cabling which had caught fire - rather that our design had been inadequate (as it wasn't)

so if the first drawing was drawn by 1 checked by 2 and approved by 3

rev A would be drawn by 4 signed by 5 approved by 6 with the same info in the revision box?

yes (unless 4, 5 & 6 just happened to be the same people as the first issue)

the next thing to question is the keeping of ALL revisions - some really scary drawing offices seem to think an overwrite is okay and only rely on the daily back up to dig up previous versions!

Some places have a really sketchy definition of when a drawing revision is upped from the previous letter/number

We work as described by AJSmith as far as drawn/checkedby etc goes...as its traceablity that counts, and we know who did the original, and then each update is also signed and dated.

We have recently introduced an Internal/External system...

Revision box area initially carries two values '00'. Internal changes, (i.e. when the client hasn't had a copy) numerically increment the left hand value & External changes alphabetically increment the right hand value.

Early days yet, but we'll see how it goes.