AutoCAD freezing after selecting/ deselecting

julian07

I'm an AutoCAD beginner. Just to let you all know, that there's not too much to expect from my side.

My problem is, that if I select an object, the cursor freezes for about a second. Same thing if I hit esc to undo the selection again.

In that second, a blue progress bar appears on the left lower corner and it says "scanning the drawing". Drawing is about 3MB in size, so not crazy big.

I'm working in AutoCAD 2010 in relation with a life section from ADT.

All windows like options, xrefs or layer manager are closed.

It is very irritating, as it really slows down my workflow. Any idea anyone?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julian07

• Tiger

• ReMark

• Dana W

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be that your computer is not up to par with running AutoCAD flawlessly - what are the specs on your computer?

It might be that, if the drawing originated from ADT, that there are a lot of junk left from ADT - run an AUDIT and a PURGE and see if that helps. To start the commands, type AUDIT resp. PURGE at the commandline and hit Enter.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I think the machine should be able to handle the file:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz; 4GB RAM, 64-bit system.

Not exactly a whimpy computer I'd say...

The problem actually applies for every function I use. If I hit for example the match properties button, it does the same thing. But! It doesn't do it if I type in the command first and then select the items I want to apply it to.

But that doesn't really help me. I need it to work the other way around aswell.

Will check with purge and audit.

Thanks!

is it like this in every drawing?

do you save your drawings to 2010-format?

The scanning drawing thing, I notice happens with sub-2010 drawings, with lots of scales in the scalelist.

The weird part is that it doesn't do it when you type commands.... get used to typeing? :wink:

Yes, the drawing is saved as a 2010 dwg. I guess the scaling list is the little box, where you can set your scale?! I have about twenty different scales in there and right now I'm drawing in 1:250.

And I just opened a new empty file and the problem does not occur.

So it must be something in the file. But that doesnt really help me.

Learning the commands is not really a solution I think. I mean, it must be possible to work fluently in AutoCAD without knowing all the commands. I can't even use the Delete button on the keyboard then. And that is the shortest way of deleting stuff (select+delete is shorter than e+select+enter...).

"Learning the commands is not really a solution I think."

We are talking about AutoCAD 2010 aren't we? And how did you think you were going to use this rather mundane and simple CAD software without learning the commands? You must be a Jedi knight or something.

Why did you pick AutoCAD 2010 (the full package) and not AutoCAD LT?

You're right...you do not have to know all the commands. But you should have a damn good grasp of many of them otherwise you wasted your money buying the full blown version.

ofcourse autocad should work fluently which ever way you want to work, I was trying to lighten the mood, apologise for that.

so we've narrowed the problem to this particular file. I am bound to blame ADT then. And the junk that ADT (and other verticals.. not junk in that sense, it's good in the actual program, but it tends to mess up in plain autocad) leaves behind is not easy to leave behind.

Try to copy everything from the file to a brand new one (ctrl+A to select all), save it and see if the problem is still there.

"Learning the commands is not really a solution I think."

We are talking about AutoCAD 2010 aren't we? And how did you think you were going to use this rather mundane and simple CAD software without learning the commands? You must be a Jedi knight or something.

learning the commandline shortcut of the command was what he meant.

..... get used to typeing? :wink:

Learning the commands is not really a solution I think. I mean, it must be possible to work fluently in AutoCAD without knowing all the commands..

some context then, to help the old and blind :thumbsup:

Easy easy guys. I didn't buy the software. That was the office I'm working for. And I understood that it wasn't meant to be fully serious when you (Tiger) said, that I have to learn the commands. It is more about the order of doing things anyways. Only if I select first and then type the command it freezes. If I type first and select then, it actually doesn't (and please don't tell me to just do it the other way around then, because this still doesn't apply to using the delete key...)

Okay, here's news. We found out, that if I open the file by doubleclicking it (rather than going through File - open), the problem actually disappeared. A collegue of mine had the same problem with another file. Wellcome to AutoCAD... This is far from logic, but anyway. I'd still ike to know, what the program was actually doing, when it scanned the drawing.

Hi, just to let everyone know about the real solution for the problem (I don't count the one from before as a proper solution, as it was pretty random) - if you have the same problem, make sure, that in your layer manager the filter for the layers is NOT set to "all used layers". That makes the program go scanning all the layers after every command, which takes time. This program really has some very special features...

• 5 years later...

Please help! I am having the same issue. I am getting a long freeze when selecting (specifically fencing) objects. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of. I am using Architecture 2015. I can copy everything out of my dwg into a new one, and everything runs smooth for about min or so then it's back to freezing. I own a small business and this is a HUGE blow to my productivity. Please help!