Uniform distributed load

lochie50

I am using Autodesk Inventor 11 and I am trying to apply a uniform distributed load across a table top to analyse the stresses applied to the table. So far I have only been able to work out how to apply a point load. Would anyone be able to describe to me the process which would allow me to apply a uniform distributed load please.

I do not remember back that far, but it seems to me selecting the face, the load is spread across the face. The location of the glyph is reference only. Just to be sure that was the way it was back in r11 attach your file here. (load at point usually wouldn't make sense as stress = force/area with point area = 0 ....

when you select a face the force will be distributed on that face. the use of split lines on a face will help you localize the force. Applying a force evenly to a table top would probably never happen.

You can show that the force is even distributed by clicking on the top face off to the side and notice that the stress in each corner where the legs are will be the same. Conversely if you create a split off to the side and apply a force to that face you will notice a difference.

If you look at the attached image you will see I applied the force within the circle which is in the bottom right corner. The equivalent stress is the highest at that corner and the lowest in the top left.

this was done in Inventor 11

IVstress.jpg

Thankyou for your advice. When you created the circle and applied the force is that force the full area of the circle?

I was trying to simulate a load, a beam or something similar weighing around one tonne laying across the full width of a simple steel table made up of a 30mm plate top and 120mm pipe legs.

Maybe I need to draw a rectangle like you drew a circle and then apply the load to the rectangle.

Table.pdf

If you truely want to apply a load across the entire face, just select the face and make sure your load direction is correct(arrow hat facing down). Just as JD said its a Split. The circle is there for reference.

To create an area like that you need a 2d sketch and to use the Split button. It will ask you to select your sketch and to select the face(s).