AutoCAD MEP

qcharu

I am an electrician that does mainly commercial work. I use AutoCAD MEP 2010 and NavisWorks Manage 2010. We draw conduits, cable tray, panels, light fixtures, racks, and other objects in 3D as we would install in the field and create B.I.M. models in NavisWorks for coordination with other trades. I can't seem to find info from anyone who uses this software for the same purpose. I'm looking for auto dimensioning of anchors, conduits cable trays, and a Bill of material. Can I create blocks that are automatically counted and added to a B.O.M.? I have a lot of questions, but don't know where to ask them. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Charlie

I am an electrician that does mainly commercial work. I use AutoCAD MEP 2010 and NavisWorks Manage 2010. We draw conduits, cable tray, panels, light fixtures, racks, and other objects in 3D as we would install in the field and create B.I.M. models in NavisWorks for coordination with other trades. I can't seem to find info from anyone who uses this software for the same purpose. I'm looking for auto dimensioning of anchors, conduits cable trays, and a Bill of material. Can I create blocks that are automatically counted and added to a B.O.M.? I have a lot of questions, but don't know where to ask them. Can any one point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Charlie

1. Define what you mean by "auto dimensioning"?

2. As for B.O.M. you can easily do this using AEC Schedules. They will be a pain to get right and set up perfectly but it's feasible right out of the box. Just remember anything that is an "AEC Object" can be accounted for, such as conduit, cable trays, MvParts, etc. Normal vanilla AutoCAD style blocks should be avoided for the best results.

And ask away, plenty of help in these forums. 8)

For instance, I have a block created for anchors that we use for our racks. Can I set it up to where when I place an anchor it can automatically be dimensioned back to

pre-determined column lines?

Thank you very much for your help!

For instance, I have a block created for anchors that we use for our racks. Can I set it up to where when I place an anchor it can automatically be dimensioned back to

pre-determined column lines?

Thank you very much for your help!

Are these "blocks" just simply user-created blocks that you've made yourself? That sounds like it'll be tough with the tools right out of the box if so. I don't even think there is a tool that can automatically place dimensions from any MvPart or Block automatically from predetermined column lines without custom programming involved. I could be wrong, but in the three years I have been using AutoCAD MEP I haven't seen it. :(

You'll probably have to place those manually. Even if there is a tool that can do it, I highly doubt it would be accurate enough for your needs every single time.