inserting blocks either come out massive or tiny

h792

Hi,

I'm teaching myself cad and it's going very well.

However, I'm trying to insert blocks eg armitage shanks basins, toilets, kitchen stuff etc.

They either come out massive or tiny. How can I get them to insert at the size the manufacturer intended?

I don't really understand the scale thing. Plus I have tried the FAQ on the site and set in format/units "insert" to unitless yet its still tiny and the toilet massive?!

Thanks

AutoCAD is now too clever for me when it comes to inserting blocks. You can set it up to insert everything at 1:1 but every so often it still inserts at a scale of 25.4:1 or 1:25.4. If you don't recognise those numbers its the difference between metric & imperial.

I use the properties box to reset the scale to 1:1 but you can play with variables to make it more consistent. I can't remember which ones but look in the similar threads at the bottom of this page - I am sure you will find it mentioned in one of those.

Thanks,

Once the block is inserted (and it's tiny). Right clicking reveals "properties" but nothing there for me to alter any sort of scale? It just has xyz with calculator next to it?

I'm at home (and about to go out) so I can't do any more just now but can you post a screen shot of your properties box please.

(actually I see you are using 2009 - it may be slightly different)

If your working in metric often there is a scale factor problem of exactly 1000 ie mm versus m open one of your blocks and check if its in mm or metres once you know then you should be able to insert them straight away using 0.001 or 1000 scale when required

Thanks very much for all your help. The solution was indeed going to user prefrences or properties (can't remember right name) and messing about with the "source scale when inserting" box and "target scale when inserting" and trying to insert again until the right size block came up. Brilliant! Autocad is going well for me now!