Do different plotters retain paper size?

Pentor

I've been using ACAD since 1990 and for some strange reason I was never bothered with paper space that much. I know what it is, and how it should be used, but my employers never wanted it... but now, I have to create a cad-standard and I come across something I cannot figure out.

My template drawing has it's borders and titleblock on paper space. The paper-size should be ISO-expanded (for example RA2 = 430x610) and the drawing size (or plottable area) should be ISO (for example A2 = 420x594).

The problem is, I don't know what plotter the drawings will be plotted with. It could be a different one every time. And another thing, it seems that the ISO-expand sizes in the plotter files are the same size as the "normal" ISO sizes.

So how do I set this up? I need to assign a plotter to the layout otherwise I cannot assign a paper-size to the layout. What plotter do I use?

And when I create a custom paper-size, will this be honered by whatever plotter is used by the client?

Thanks.

The problem is, I don't know what plotter the drawings will be plotted with. It could be a different one every time. And another thing, it seems that the ISO-expand sizes in the plotter files are the same size as the "normal" ISO sizes.

This is actually pretty easy. Just make a new Page Setup. To do this, open the Template file, and type PAGESETUP at the command line. Click New and give it a name. Set all your settings, including the plotter used, etc; click OK. Do this as many times as you need for as many different plotters/page setups that you'll continually use. Save, close.

Now next time you start your Template for a new Drawing, in the Plot Dialog Box, all your presets are saved in the 1st Pulldown menu. :)

And when I create a custom paper-size, will this be honered by whatever plotter is used by the client?

Don't worry too much about other clients, this is impossible to create setups for everyone unless you install their plotter driver, and copy their setups into your Template file. Every business knows when a CAD file comes in, it's not going to match up to your own plotter/page setups. :)

Hope this helps.