new to Autocad (mep)

kbar74

Hi all

Dont know if this is in right place but mods feel free to move if needed,

I have been a ductwork installer for 19 years and recently stopped trading as a self employed person and decided to go over to the design / cad side of my industry, I would love to hear from ANYONE in the Ductwork side of CAD to give me some advice on what and where to go.

At the moment I am ploughing through Introduction to AutoCAD 2009 2d and 3d by Alf Yarwood, but seeing as im using AutoCAD mep 2009 Im starting to get issues translating the exercises over....

I hope to train myself to be a ductwork draughtsmen first but I want to get as much CAD training as possible, I really want to get into 3d modelling eventually, so any advice or pointers on what im doing wrong would be great.

I am going to try to find a home course that suits my level of having the very basics of autocad that will bring me on to next level, also i want to get in CADduct as I believe it is used as much as MEP???

I welcome all and any advice, and remember im a newbie so be gentel!:D

Welcome to the CADTutor forum kbar74.

The basics of AutoCAD can be learned in a variety of ways. Some authorized AutoDesk resellers run 3-5 day training courses. For something a little more in-depth there are online self-study courses and courses offered at local community colleges. These last two can run 8-12 weeks (1 or 2 nights/week) and cost around $400 (not including books).

kbar74,

ReMark is correct. Also let me explain to you that AutoCAD alone can be quite the colossal program to conquer, let alone AutoCAD MEP. But rest assure that it's not THAT difficult, especially with proper training up front and the help of these boards.

I will vouch that AutoCAD MEP is a great program for 3D ductwork and design. I have been using it for 3 years now and still I am finding new and improved ways of creating very efficient HVAC mechanical duct design layouts and construction plans.

For the record I can help guide you up to have a very good running 2D setup for HVAC and duct design just to get you on your feet. If you want to dive right into using AutoCAD MEP, then I can aid you in that as well. Just stay on these boards and search through previous threads, and if there's anything you need just ask. 8)

thanks for the reply!

I have seached a few threads and have decided that the book Mastering Autocad mep that was recommended (maybe by you) is the book I should be using.

I will be living on this forum, so I will try not to flood you with all sorts of inane stupid questions but I most likely will.....:oops:

I also found some border templates for all paper sizes which was a great find, :)

you'll find the members on this forum really helpful kbar :thumbsup:

We're here for new users and experienced users alike, and just ask that you help out the new members once you've got some experience under your belt too!

The only people who get a hard time here are those who are looking for somebody to do their homework FOR them :glare: If you're willing to learn, our members have all the time in the world for you :)

If you'll be living on this forum make sure to put your dirty dishes in the sink, your socks in the hamper and turn off the lights before leaving the room! LOL

If you're willing to learn, our members have all the time in the world for you

Couldn't have said it better. The reason why I give as much as possible back, is because if you go back 4+ years and read my first set of posts, you'll find out that I owe almost everything of my skills to this forum and the people involved. This board was the foundation of launching my career and helping create my passion and talent. And still I have such a long ways to go, Lord Almighty do I. 8)

Well if its four years to get to a decent level Im going to be asking a lot of questions!!! LOL

I was hoping to be applying to duct work contractors by year end 2010....

thanks for the replys guys

Im in the UK and I see courses for Ductwork Autocad that can be completed in days?? surely they must be for just using the MEP hvac add on.....

I want to be able to use AutoCAD in all of its capabilitys I take it that is to much of an ask by year end???

Is being able to plot out and transfer drawings supplied to me by clients into decent ductwork drawings is a more resonable aim??

Basic AutoCAD courses can run from a handful of days to double digits. The longer the course the more in-depth it will be. A 3-5 day seminar just skims the surface. That might be good for someone who is only going to edit a drawing every now and then not for someone who will be tasked with making major edits and / or creating new drawings from scratch.

I think there are a small number of people who may know all of AutoCAD's capabilities the remainder probably only know and use 75% of those capabilities. I think it largely depends on the nature of your job. Some firms have not made the leap to 3D. Some firms may be doing their drawings much like they did when AutoCAD first became into widespread use. They see new features as just more bells and whistles they really don't need. If it worked in the past why change, right? Not every new feature that AutoDesk adds finds widespread acceptance. I have a difficult time thinking of uses for free-form design and parametrics while someone else many treat these as the answers to all their prayers. Catch my drift?

I am starting to realise AutoCAD is some beast to tame LOL

My first priority is be able to take supplied drawings of a ductwork layout and to change these into drawings suplied to ductwork manufacturers and fitters (this is my background) this should get me work from my known contractors, but I dont want that to be my extent of AutoCAD, there is a big demand for 3D model draughtsmen in the UK and I want in! as you say it seems that some companies dont want to invest in the 3D training as they have survived so long with out it but clients are starting to request 3D more and more, so hopefully I will be at the front of the queue when they are looking!

I have not had a chance to import a clients drawing as yet, is it just a matter of using the HVAC add on in MEP to change sizes to DW144 spec? (uk Duct manufacture regulations), dont know if this your area but your best guess is better than what I have at the mo!

I am starting to realise AutoCAD is some beast to tame LOL

My first priority is be able to take supplied drawings of a ductwork layout and to change these into drawings suplied to ductwork manufacturers and fitters (this is my background) this should get me work from my known contractors, but I dont want that to be my extent of AutoCAD, there is a big demand for 3D model draughtsmen in the UK and I want in! as you say it seems that some companies dont want to invest in the 3D training as they have survived so long with out it but clients are starting to request 3D more and more, so hopefully I will be at the front of the queue when they are looking!

I have not had a chance to import a clients drawing as yet, is it just a matter of using the HVAC add on in MEP to change sizes to DW144 spec? (uk Duct manufacture regulations), dont know if this your area but your best guess is better than what I have at the mo!

Okay, now you're talking about a whole other ballgame. You need to look into something like Eastcoast Design to Fab or CAD-Duct. They already have programs out there that export directly from the model straight to the plasma cutters, labeled and all. They're highly advanced but the difference is very rarely do you find perfect "design to fabrication" type drawings unless you have every single trade designing in 3D and it's a construction project that is new and built ground up. Not to degrade your interest in any way but you might be biting off way more than you can chew here.... :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am new to Mep, i know Autocad 2D and 3D but i dont know anything about Mep.

Can someone please help me with the basic Mep drawing. I have an interview on Saturday, 15th May. I really need help.

It might be better if you post as a new thread. Tacking your request on for help to this thread it may not get noticed.

how do i post a new thread?

Go to the appropriate forum. Look to the left of the page. There is a New Thread button near the top and the bottom of each page. Start by clicking one of those two buttons.

Please be descriptive with your question. "I need help!" is a poor example of a question.

Please provide as much detail as possible. If we have to play 20 questions just to get to the heart of your question we've wasted a lot of time and effort.

Thanks.

Check this blog out

If you need some files to practice with let me know.

If you have run work in the field you should be able to get up and running in a few weeks with basic drafting however; detailing with MEP will not be easy i.e. it lacks some fittings you would use like, drop cheek ells. More likely than not if you go get a job as a detailer you will not be using MEP but a detailing software like practicad or cad duct.

If you get yourself up and running and would like to work from home, let me know, I am always looking for guys who have field experience...

Regards,

Rob W

MEP Precision Detailers