Exact Degrees Of Rotation ???

vertical horizons

When I need to rotate an object, I want to be able to rotate it an exact amount of degrees.

The problem that I am having is I have to use the ROTATE WHEEL (for lack of a better word) and approximate (eye) the degrees. I know that you should be able to make a clear & precise manuever, but I do not know how.

I have looked at the HELP section that comes with INVENTOR, but, either I am looking in the wrong place, or it's just a case of INVENTOR losing me in the mix.

I can right click on a part in the browser menu, and choose MOVE FEATURE, which will bring up the 3D/ROTATE menu. But, I am not too sure of how that one works. And it doesn't seem like I can rotate exactly from there.

I can go to SKETCH EDIT, and use the MODIFY / ROTATE button there. But, then again, I am a little confused as to what you can & can not do there. And again, it doesn't seem like I can rotate exactly from there, either.

While I am in an IAM, I can right click on an item, and go to COMPONENT -> GRIP SNAP, and use the rotate tool there, but I do not understand what the buttons mean. I know that they each have a tool tip associated with each one, but that still loses me.

Can you rotate with complete accuracy in any type of setup, or do you have to be in an IAM setup?

If you have to be in an IAM setup to rotate accurately, can someone explain what the rotation procedure is, and which button(s) are used to make the changes?

Thank you.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vertical horizons

• shift1313

• kencaz

• JD Mather

To rotate using the Triad you simply click on the axis you want to rotate about:

triad.png

Click on the X axis (RED) and you will be given a precise angle input dialog box.

triad2.png

KC

To rotate using the Triad you simply click on the axis you want to rotate about...

Is this only done in an IAM setup?

I am attempting to duplicate what you have shown me.

While in a .ipt setup, I right click on the extrusion.

Then I select MOVE FEATURE.

This brings up the 3 D MOVE / ROTATE dialog box. (Is this the way you get to the rotation command?)

When I click on one of the axis, & then enter a degree value, the axis shows me a ghost image of where the axis will be, according to what degree I have entered. However, once I click OK, the object does not rotate. I have tried selecting different axis.

On your last video, it doesn't show how you are getting to the rotate command. Your cursor goes off of the screen.

I notice that, once you enter a value, you get a ghost image showing where your object will be rotated to. I don't get the ghost image of my object. I only get a ghost image of the triad.

I appreciate your patience with me.

Does your part have any constraints applied to it that would stop it from achieving this new position? When you are on the move/rotate 3d pop up there is an option to Move Triad Only, make sure this is not what you are doing.

Does your part have any constraints applied to it that would stop it from achieving this new position? When you are on the move/rotate 3d pop up there is an option to Move Triad Only, make sure this is not what you are doing.

You could be right Shift. I would say that if it's an assembly (.iam) then possibly trying to move a grounded part, however, OP states he is current file is (.ipt), so it's possible that his invetor options are set to "Never Relax Constraints" or Prompt.

KC

Does your part have any constraints applied to it that would stop it from achieving this new position?...

...it's possible that his invetor options are set to "Never Relax Constraints" or Prompt...

Where would I look to see if any constraints or other options are set to prevent me from rotating correctly?

In the model tree, components that are grounded will have a push pin icon over them. You can change this by either right clicking on the part in the model or right clicking on its name in the model tree. There will be an options that says grounded.

Constraints/relations/mates are things that would have been added by you, unless you created your parts inside the assembly by starting sketches on faces of other parts. This creates a mate with that part. In Assembly mode, when you expand each item in the tree you can see what constraints are there.

,,,Constraints/relations/mates are things that would have been added by you, unless you created your parts inside the assembly by starting sketches on faces of other parts...

I should have been more clear in my original post.

I have created several objects in an .ipt environment.

I then open an .iam application. As I insert my earlier objects into the assembly drawing, I find that I need to rotate them. This is where I find my trouble. I can't rotate to an exact degree. I end up using the rotation command that allows me to rotate items freely, but with no accuracy, just roughly putting them close to where they should be.

As far as I know, I am not putting any constraints on the objects as I am creating them.

When I watch the video (KenCaz, post #6), I can see a ghost image (of the item being rotated) showing where the item will be after the rotation. I do not see that when I attempt the rotation. I only see the ghost image of where the triad will be after the rotation.

KenCaz,

In your video, what did you select, after you right-clicked on the object? In the video, it doesn't show what your selection was.

well with the 3drotate command you should get an exact input box if you click on the triad direction you want to rotate about

BUT, if you are trying to constrain a model you should just add mates to do this. Do you have a model or screen shots we can look at?

...Do you have a model or screen shots we can look at?

Here is a basic drawing of what I am attempting to do. Very basic, but if I can understand how to make an exact degree of rotation here, then I should be able to rotate other objects, as well.

The 2" pipe is already at the proper rotation with the upper portion of the elbow. But what if I wanted to rotate the pipe exactly 90 degrees, so that it was lined up to match the angle of the lower part of the elbow?

I know that, in this case, I could just RIGHT-CLICK, and use the "CONSTRAINT" Option, but that won't help me to understand about the rotation. Therefore, how would you ROTATE this?

I have looked in the tree on the left side of the page. I do not see where I have an option to enter EXACT degrees of rotation.

I do not know how to upload an .IAM or an .IPT to this forum, so I uploaded PDFs instead. (I'm sure that this won't be of any help.)

What is the procedure for uploading files from Inventor? Pipe 2 Inch 12 & Elbow 2 Inch are .IPTs, and Rotation Test is an .IAM.

Rotation Test.pdf

Pipe 2 Inch 12.pdf

Elbow 2 Inch.pdf

Well I cant see any reason you would need to rotate it, especially when you are trying to line it up with another object, BUT here is a way you can do it.

Select the part you wish to rotate and enter Edit mode. On your Modify tab you have an option that says Move Body. Inside Move Body next to your selected body there is a drop down box. The bottom option is rotate about a line. This line can be one of your axis(y in my case) or a line you select. From there you can enter an angle to rotate and apply it.

PipeRotate.jpg

PipeRotate1.jpg

PipeRotate2.jpg

OK, now we can see what your attempting. In the case of an assembly you'll want to enter an angle constraint instead of rotating as you would in a part file.

Here, I already put an insert constraint on the pipe and the elbow to line them up. Then to precisely rotate the elbow chose an angle constraint on the pipe then a perpendicular axis, (x in this case), and enter your rotation angle as such:

pipe.gif

Also, if you insert the elbow first it may be grounded so check for the pin in your browser...

KC

Everyone, thanks for the help.

I can now make exact rotations. My drawings will come out a lot cleaner now.

I still can't seem to be able to activate the "3d rotate command" accurately. Well, I can open the command, but I still can't make exact degree changes there. But, at least with your help, I can make do, in a roundabout way.

Thanks again.

...Select the part you wish to rotate and enter Edit mode. On your Modify tab you have an option that says Move Body...

How do you access the EDIT mode in Inventor 2009?

I mispoke earlier when I said that I was finally able to make the rotation. I was able to make the rotation using KC's method, because I could right-click and get to the "constraint" command. However, SHIFT is using Inventor 2010, and I can't find the "MOVE BODY" command.

How do you get to the MOVE BODY command in Inventor 2009?

Edit mode would just be clicking on the part or part name and editing it. Either by a button on the ribbon or right clicking and selecting edit. I think 2010 was the first version that supported multi-body parts so 2009 might not say Move Body.

Both the method i wrote and the one kenkaz wrote were from the .ipt(edit) area. If you are in an assembly and not editing a part, constraints are what you use and still the best option. If you open the 3d move or rotate command from the ribbon while in the context of an assembly you will not be able to get the exact rotation dialog(as far as i know).

I cant think of a single case when you wouldnt want to use constraints to define your model though. Is there any specific reason you want to rotate a component but not constrain it?