AutoCAD 2010 Windows 7 installation error / issues

_Harry

Hi there, I am attempting to re-install AutoCAD 2010 for a friend after re-building his PC for him, but am left with a very frustrating issue which is stopping the installation from working.

Each time I run the installation I get to the "Select Products to Install" option and it says "AutoCAD 2010 is already installed".

No I know it isn't!! But I cannot get past this screen.

I've run through the instructions on the AutoCAD forums which point to manual removal of all AutoCAD data / files and registry entries - but sadly to no avail.

I'm pretty stuffed now, as I don't know which way to turn!

OS is Windows 7 32bit

Any help much appreciated.

There is still something in the Registry or a folder on the hard drive that leads the installation to believe otherwise. Until you figure what it is you're dead in the water. Did you follow AutoDesk's instructions for removing all traces of a previous installation as outlined on their website?

Thanks ReMark, yes, I went through the instructions bit by bit, so far can't find anything else relating to AutoCAD or AutoDesk.

Maybe you missed this on your last visit to the AutoDesk website:

"If the installer is reporting that the program is already installed, the installation will not complete....If you are still receiving an error message that states the product is already installed, you may need to use the Windows Installer Cleanup utility to remove it. This utility can be downloaded from Microsoft."

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I'm installing Autocad 2010 on windows 7. I got a problem at the first step. It required to install DirectX 9.0 before Autocad 2010. But I was told that windows 7 included DirectX 11. Why this error happened ? Thank in advance

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Remark.

I too was having trouble re-installing AutoCAD 2010. Runing the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility solved the problem.

Thanks

• 11 months later...

Hello, probably an obvious thing Ive missed, but when I go looking for the " Windows Installer Cleanup utility " I find that it does not exist for 7. What are you using in its place? Of maybe I'm in the wrong place on the MS site when I get that message? Is there a secret cleanup utility that MS doesn't share with us common folk? Thanks in advance for a newb question!

Does this help.....

NOTE: The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility has been retired by Microsoft.

While the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility resolved some installation probems, it sometimes damaged other components installed on the computer. Because of this, the tool has been removed from the Microsoft Download Center. There is currently not a replacement tool. While it may be available at 3rd party sites, it is not recommended to be used.

Added December 2010

Somewhat, thank you. I was trying to match the date on the MS site for that message against these posts to see if they were before the software was removed, but I wasn't smart enough to see on this site where the post dates appear... As I type this reply, I can see them below, but if I just open the page and look at the thread, I don't see any dates. Anyways, I have found instructions on editing the registry on the Autodesk site and I will give that a shot. Thanks!

Edited by pcn
added thanks

The utility was removed from the Microsoft website in December of 2010. There was some concern it caused more problems than it solved.

I would recommend you find and download a program called Revo Uninstaller. It got a "thumbs up" by the good folks over at PC World in their May, 2011 issue about free utilities.

You can find this utility at find.pcworld.com/71660

Thanks, Ive used it in the past, and this time when it came to the time to delete registry entries I didn't change any (chickened out). So I'm afraid I missed my chance with that tool. Ive gone into the registry and deleted HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk as well as HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Autodesk but that seems to make on difference. When I get to the screen to select a product I am still unable to pick any check box.

Thanks very much! And I will make a back up. This may be a good practice/learning tool, as IT wants to do a reformat. If I blow it up, there is nothing to lose. This was a Vista machine, IT "upgraded" him to 7, and it's not worked right since.