AutoCad freezes when trying to Plot

MetsoKyle

We have a few Autocad2006 drawings that are freezing up when we try and plot them using control P. I am unsure as to why this is happening? Has this every happened to anyone? If so, how did you solve the problem. Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MetsoKyle

• ReMark

• Cad64

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this only happen with just a few drawings or all drawings? If it's only a few drawings, then the problem is with the .dwg file, not Autocad.

Do these drawings contain a lot of images?

Have you Purged and Audited these drawings and their attached xrefs?

@Remark, Yes I am printing to a Network printer. There are no xref.

@Cad64, It only happens to a few drawings. I am able to use ctrl P on my computer, but a colleague is the one having the issue.

There are no images, only drawn geometry.

There is nothing to purge, when I open the purge menu.

Thanks for the fast reply :)

What are the computer specs of your machine and your colleague's machine? It sounds like maybe his computer is not as robust as yours? Maybe it can't handle the file he's trying to print?

He does have a pretty old laptop, and I have a desktop, But he has no trouble with any of the other drawings of the same type and size.

I audited the file that we are having the problem with and that did not help. I also confirmed that there is nothing in the file to purge and there are no xref.

One user having trouble with printing just one drawing from an old laptop using Control+P. That's the extent of the problem? Can this user use the normal means of printing with no problem (i.e. - going through the AutoCAD Plot/Print command)? Please confirm. Yes or no?

It also freezes when he uses the plot icon or goes to file print. He can print using our plot marcro, but due to how we have our plotter set up, he needs to go into the plot window and manually change some settings.

He can't print the file using the Plot command but can if he uses your plot macro? Well that's odd. Where is the file located? Maybe it's a pathing problem and the system locks up because it is running itself in circles trying to locate the file.

The file is located on a network drive. But what gets me is that I can open the same file and use the plot menu, but he can't.

If the file is open in Autocad, why would it have a problem locating the file to plot?

It seems to me that it is searching for something? But I don't know whats missing in this file that isn't missing in the others. Any suggestions on where I could start to look. I am not familiar with what process that Autocad goes through when opening the plot window. It could be missing something, somewhere?

All the files he opens are on a netwok drive. He uses windows explorer to navigate to the particular folder and double clicks to open the file in Autocad.

When did the problem first occur?

Could your coworker plot this file in the past with no problem?

Perhaps I missed your answers.

Sorry, my mistake.

The problem just started a few days ago when we got the files from our office in india. They maybe doing something they are not suppose to? I just don't know what it is?

This is the first time my coworker has received this particular file.

Wow, this thread is still going? :P

India huh? Are they using the same version of ACAD Mechanical 2006, or are they using a newer version and saving down to 2004 format?

Does your co-worker have all the latest service packs, hotfixes and object enablers installed? Does he have the same printer drivers installed that you have?

Are the files 2D or 3D?

yes, we are both using AutoCad 2006. I am not sure which version of Autocad the drawings were made in. But they are saved as 2006 drawings.

Frankly I'm stumped. One user, one file, one problem. All other things seem to be equal.

As a last resort you could find, download, install and run Process Monitor v2.8 (dated 11-3-09) by Russinovich and Cogswell to monitor exactly what is taking place during the attempted effort to plot this one drawing. As a control I would recommend plotting a similar drawing preferably from the same location on the network first. Compare the two attempts at plotting and look for any anomolies.