"Hover-over" Information Pop-up

Sam_CAD_Learner

Hi, this is my first post here. I am in dire need of some help. My boss has asked me to figure out how to hover my cursor over top of an image created in AutoCAD, (ex. Door, machine, pipe, etc.) and get a little pop-up with information on it to appear

(Ex. hovering cursor over a pipe, "4' Commercial Pipe, El. 1095'-0", top of pipe, Serial #", etc would pop-up)

I have been playing around with hyperlinks, and rollover tooltips, but can't seem to figure out how to get the information to immediately pop-up when scrolled over.

(Using 2010)

Any help would be great!!!!

THANK YOU!!

I think the "Pipe" has to be an "Object" like a line, arc, circle, Block, etc. that is defined in AutoCAD.

I use generic AutoCAD LT 2009 and my hover only displays the object group name, color, layer and object sub-type. As far as I can tell, there is no way to vary the data displayed in the box. It is merely basic AutoCAD Properties.

I am not sure what sort of objects you can have defined in the verious industry specific versions of AutoCAD. If yours already has a "palette'o'Pipes", or lets you create "Pipe Types" then it should already work. In other words, AutoCAD does not know a collection of lines adds up to a particular object unless it is told.

Possibly this would require creating your pipe types as blocks and use the pertinant data as the block name.

Do you need this information to be displayed inside of AutoCAD? Or just maybe an image of your .DWG file.

If so, you can use JPGOUT to create the image then create an image map to be displyed in a web browser which will give you a lot of options such as hover and linking to other files.

KC

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, my drawing just consists of separate lines, my pipes are not blocks, but I will try making them blocks, and naming them with the information I need displayed. I was hoping there was another way to use a hyperlink or something, so when I scroll over it, data I have inputted shows up, but I will try this.

THANKS!

kencaz,

Yes, my boss wants it to display directly in Autocad. Otherwise I would have just created a hyperlink and had an excel file open i think, but he wants to just scroll over it and have it pop up. This is just my second month of using autocad, so I am still learning a lot. I will play around with JPGOUT though, and see what it does.

Thanks!!

kencaz,

Yes, my boss wants it to display directly in Autocad. Otherwise I would have just created a hyperlink and had an excel file open i think, but he wants to just scroll over it and have it pop up. This is just my second month of using autocad, so I am still learning a lot. I will play around with JPGOUT though, and see what it does.

Thanks!!

Yeah, well.... I had a boss once who wanted me to draw strechable kitchen cabinets as blocks to save time. His AutoCAD release was two years prior to Dynamic blocks being available, so of course I could not do it. He had seen AutoCAD 2007 and 2020 Design at a kitchen cabinet trade show and didn't know the stretchy stuff was a new thing. I eventually built a library of dynamic cabinet blocks, but for a new employer. That was not the reason for changing work places, although he was.

Wow! Well, I luckily have a great boss, he is very reasonable. Being a student and all I was hoping to impress him when he asked for this thismorning lol

Making them into blocks and naming them is working btw, the only thing I can't do is edit the name after I created it, which is on the annoying side lol.

Wow! Well, I luckily have a great boss, he is very reasonable. Being a student and all I was hoping to impress him when he asked for this thismorning lol

Making them into blocks and naming them is working btw, the only thing I can't do is edit the name after I created it, which is on the annoying side lol.

Yeah, that is a bummer, but you can open the prior block def and save it as the next one after making changes for the new one.

So with the various arcs, lines, etc converted to blocks and the block named with the specification you want, when you pick it in the drawing the Quick Properties will tell you what ou want. It's not hover but pretty close

Better yet, Name the block something descriptive.And then assign attributes to the block to spec the actual details. Now you can edit the quick Properties to display the Name and the Attributes, and still do an attribute extraction on the drawing for BOM purposes. two for one. the boss should like that