Is there a RVT file viewer?

Glen Smith

We are starting work on a new job in which we have been given access to the .RVT file via an FTP site. We have also apparently been told (I'm at the end of a long string of "he told me so") that we can just "open the RVT file with a viewer."

I have DesignReview 2011 (freshly upgraded from 2010) neither of which will open a .rvt file. I have tried opening it with the Navisworks Freedom viewer, which was also implied to be able to work, with no joy. The AutoDesk web site : http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=14185260&siteID=123112 does not even mention Revit files.

Give it to me straight - Is there a way to view the .rvt file without buying Revit, short of having the Arch. export the file to a DWG?

Glen

Interesting. Thanks for the link. The posts are from 2003, I'm not sure how the license agreements may have changed since then.

The posts made it sound like REVIT could be installed in "DEMO" mode indefinitely - to only be used as viewing/printing stations. When I go to the Autodesk website today, to look at downloading the software, it sez this in the text: "To receive your free** 30-day trial download of Autodesk® Revit® Architecture software..." (bolding mine)

I do not want to be on the wrong side of the law on this, we work in the security industry and have guv'mint contracts, I guess I'll have to check with our reseller on Monday - I was just hoping that someone knew something that I couldn't find with a quick web search.

If anyone else has anything, please post - thanks.

Glen

Just to confirm, the "trial" install of Revit works differently to what we are used to with AutoCAD and many other applications. Rather than having a limited time period as with AutoCAD, with Revit it is an indefinite trial and the limitation is that you can not save anything.

The Revit trial works perfectly to be able to view and interrogate the project if you don't want to actually manipulate it.

I just called our reseller, who confirmed the information posted here, (thank you leigh_elkins). He also sent me a link to the AutoDsk web site ( http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7290003&linkID=9243099 ) with the following information that I apparently missed: "After the 30-day trial mode is over, Revit will run indefinitely in Demo Mode. When Revit is in Demo Mode, you can view files, but you cannot print them or save any changes you have made."

Glen

• 3 years later...
Guest bimguru

Our company just started using Assemble to view it, it does cost money, but you can see quantities as well as the model which makes it easy to do our takeoffs. If you're looking to not spend any money whatsoever then the demo might be the way to go, we found assemble useful without having to get a revit seat, we just ask the revit user on the GC side to publish it to assemble for us, really easy.

Link: http://www.assemblesystems.com/

Our company just started using Assemble to view it, it does cost money, but you can see quantities as well as the model which makes it easy to do our takeoffs. If you're looking to not spend any money whatsoever then the demo might be the way to go, we found assemble useful without having to get a revit seat, we just ask the revit user on the GC side to publish it to assemble for us, really easy.

Link: http://www.assemblesystems.com/

We use this as well. It is extremely powerful. This is a good first post! Welcome to the forum.

8)

*EDIT*

This is an old thread that was resurrected. I do not believe Assemble was out back in 2010.