school CAD project

bdr2k5

I would find it far harder to do in 2D than in 3D. Might as well hand sketch out with pencil on paper.

Or, insert the image and start tracing. Then detach the image. :twisted:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bdr2k5

• Tankman

• Car5858

• MikeScott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ok guys, the project was our own idea, i picked that image to recreate it! as far as the malpractice, i know we are not thaught in details about ISO and 3D drawings, but we have to go the extra mile. Some people in previews semester did some crazy ISO drawings of cameras, space shuttle, and other amazing things. So, i have to step it up.

Also, it doesnt have to be exactly like the image. My teacher hasnt even seen the skatepark image. Thats why i've been using arbitrary "close to real like dimensions". I've been using the "eyeball method".

What do you guys think of my progress so far?

wtmate.jpg

are not thaught

Or did you mean, "...are not taught"?

Some people in previews semester...

Or did you mean, "...in previous semester"?

What you have so far looks good, but if you really want to step it up a 3D model will allow realistic rendering.

When I give an assignment like that where you choose what to draw - part of the assignment is recognizing what can actually be done using the tools that have been taught so far in the class. If you pick an unrealistic model based on your experience that is not a good sign. Always good to push the limits a bit though, and learn something beyond the class.

Yes, sorry for the spelling errors.

The thing is, our teacher showed us projects from last semesters and they are far beyond of what they teach us in this course. I don't really like the grading in this class, because most of the people that turned in those amazing projects had previous experience with CAD.

I'm tempted to use the 3D cad. I never used it before though, i have absolutly no clue about it! i don't want to risk it, considering that i only have a couple of weeks for this.o:)

Try to visualize the image from the top view, and then, the side view.

Figure out the "floor heights" by looking at the stairways and ramps. I see two primary heights, three "dips" and a few raised parts that might be on similar planes.

Try and do a rough isometric of just the floor levels.

Compare your best guess on the side view with your best guess on the top view.

Then, well.. start with what you know.. Like the 4' halfpipes. Try to compare it with other items, like paths, and stuff to see how it changes spacings and heights.

Draw the 4' half pipe.. Switch your DS setting to isometric and draw a 4' isometric cube. (a cube like that might be good for sliding around your rough isometric view for comparitive sizing).

Then draw an Ellipse on one of the top corners, using isometric and press F5 until it's the correct direction.

Once you have that, you can approximate the rest of that single structure. Those "vertical curves" along the length of those ramps are material seams lines.. they'll have a set spacing on each ramp, and you can use that to determine how how wide stuff is, and what the radiuses are.

also, there are things like paths between the ramps that look to be consistent widths..

Try and draw everything you have dimensions for.

Next, go research the type of bars used at skateparks and get some approximate sizes to work with.. Also some of the specific names of stuff might help determine the geometry/sizes on them.. like google things like "Jersey Barrier" and some of the other specifically named items.

It sucks that the image isn't "to scale" but I guess that's to stop you from tracing it, however, it also means that the "right answer" has a broader definition.

In most cases, a non-scaled concept drawing of a park is significantly distorted.. They're trying to "sell" the idea of a big park with everything in it, and the reality is almost always a bit more cramped... or the ramps might be a bit oversized to emphasize them. Use the 20,000square feet as your guide.. approximate a polygon with a similar footprint, shape, and size and use that as your outermost guideline.

doh.. I replied before seeing you'd already gotten started.. ( I was responding to page one of this thread without seeing tht there were more pages added.)

sorry about walking backwards here.. but I'll leave it in case something helps.

Also.. for the record.. this is an existing skatepark with only minor modifications to the design. Your teacher had to know that(?!) Skaters make videos.. there's quite a few videos, and they better reveal features that you can get the proper scales on if you look at those videos.. with only a few changes from this concept.

http://www.cahuete.com/best-of/view.php?video=dIbZrUNF1OE&feature=youtube_gdata&title=ORISUE+-+Brian+Kubis+At+Bay+Creek

just finish, just gotta touch it up :P

[ATTACH]19213[/ATTACH]

Looks excellent! Keep on playin' with AutoCAD.

Practice makes perfect! 8)