Pressure Vessel Dished Head Lisp

The Buzzard

Nice work Buzzard! Like the interface too! I was searching the net today for a routine just like yours that I remembered using yrs ago at another job. What led me to this search was someone had asked me if there is a routine for drawing Aspherical lens profiles;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens

and the first thing that came to my mind was a dished head lisp routine I remembered using yrs ago. The dished head profile looks like almost 1/2 of an aspherical lens profile!

Feel up to another challenge to produce a routine to draw aspherical lens profiles? The profile doesn't look to hard, but the formula listed on that page looks greek to me (probably because it is?!?!?)

I found a "web page" that google provided that suggests someone created a visuallisp routine, but I get the feeling they are keeping it to themselves;

http://books.google.com/books?id=v4Tm1of3UEcC&pg=PA487&lpg=PA487&dq=draw+aspherical+lens+in+AutoCAD&source=bl&ots=t_M5hIUPG1&sig=U2VN0fvg99jm0kO9EfDfJ5Xh03Q&hl=en&ei=V4VtTOrrAY6JnQfTkuGiCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true

Keep up the good work Buzzard! I'll have to test your 16.5 flange routines also, they look awesome!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Buzzard

• ReMark

• Lee Mac

• digger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice work Buzzard! Like the interface too! I was searching the net today for a routine just like yours that I remembered using yrs ago at another job. What led me to this search was someone had asked me if there is a routine for drawing Aspherical lens profiles;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspheric_lens

and the first thing that came to my mind was a dished head lisp routine I remembered using yrs ago. The dished head profile looks like almost 1/2 of an aspherical lens profile!

Feel up to another challenge to produce a routine to draw aspherical lens profiles? The profile doesn't look to hard, but the formula listed on that page looks greek to me (probably because it is?!?!?)

I found a "web page" that google provided that suggests someone created a visuallisp routine, but I get the feeling they are keeping it to themselves;

http://books.google.com/books?id=v4Tm1of3UEcC&pg=PA487&lpg=PA487&dq=draw+aspherical+lens+in+AutoCAD&source=bl&ots=t_M5hIUPG1&sig=U2VN0fvg99jm0kO9EfDfJ5Xh03Q&hl=en&ei=V4VtTOrrAY6JnQfTkuGiCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=true

Keep up the good work Buzzard! I'll have to test your 16.5 flange routines also, they look awesome!

Thanks for the compliement ,

I looked at the Wikipedia page and noticed there are different styles of lenses. Are you looking to create all those styles? I saw the formula and it looks Greek to me also. There are some here I am sure that would look like adding 1 & 1. I would suggest to you to start a thread on this. Also if you could, Post a sample drawing so that it can be disected for point information. There are many ways to acheive the same result. I would suggest an entmake solution for this just like the Dished Head program. Also post the required input information that would be needed to get the desired results.

I will look for your post and help the best way I can, But I am certain that others here could provided you with a great solution. Just be sure to post the information I mentioned. It will make it easier for others to get involved.

Good Luck

Thank you for the input. I thought perhaps my reply to your thread here might not make it thru due to the links I posted, so I ended up posting a new thread on Aug 20th.

I am currently relaying this request from another person who appears to have found a possible solution with purchased software.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll seek the info you suggested from him and will supply that to the other thread.

Take care

Thank you for the input. I thought perhaps my reply to your thread here might not make it thru due to the links I posted, so I ended up posting a new thread on Aug 20th.

I am currently relaying this request from another person who appears to have found a possible solution with purchased software.

If that doesn't pan out, I'll seek the info you suggested from him and will supply that to the other thread.

Take care

Not a problem, I hope it works out for the OP. I would hate to see money wasted on software that does not deliver.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if I could make a suggestion on this program. I have been using this program for a little bit now since I work for a company who builds pressure vessels and heat exchangers and I was wondering if it was possible to see if the OD and thickness could be set to user input instead of predefined sizes. We build per the ID and vessel thickness instead of OD and then thickness. But the way the program works it's not the hard to figure it out the other way. Only problem I have ran into is that there are not any OD's and thickness that match what we do since it varies each and every time. So instead what I do is pick the closest one from the drop down menu and then change it from there.

fcfcadd,

When I get a moment I shall see what I can do for you. I will post a version for you here, But the first post of the original will remain as is. Just give me a day or two.

That would be so awesome. Since our designs very so much it would make my life so much easier if I could just input the parameters instead of a drop down list. Thank you so much.

fcfcadd,

I went thru the program and tailored it to your needs. I kind of like the way your idea works. I just might post it to the first post. Also please take note that I made an improvement to the looping by replacing the loop function with while for multiple inserts. I made that change several weeks back, But I never got around to posting it. Please review the operation and let me know how it is working. Before I forget, Also take note I provided Default sizes. You can of course edit this. The program seems much more flexible now.

Enjoy the program and Thanks,

The Buzzard

DH_V0.4.lsp

DH_V0.4.dcl

Edited by The Buzzard

Now I can't lie to customer that 41 1/2" ASME 2:1 head is not existing (in Buzzard program) and can't be done.

Thanks.

One thing that bugging me is on end of using program ortho is not switching back to polar. Can I get this line of code please.

Never mind - find it. Sorry for bugging you.

Edited by mdbdesign
Find it with new glasses

mdbdesign,

I reposted with the fix to post 68. Sorry about that. That is why I ask for the feedback. I am going to wait a bit before posting to the first post to make sure.

Thanks for your input.

The Buzzard,

Fantastic program.

I learned something today from mdbdesign.

Now I'll have to look closer at tank drawings.

I have been doing Piping Drafting/Design since 1965 and I haven't seen a head specified by I.D., yet.

The Buzzard,

Fantastic program.

I learned something today from mdbdesign.

Now I'll have to look closer at tank drawings.

I have been doing Piping Drafting/Design since 1965 and I haven't seen a head specified by I.D., yet.

To my knowledge Iron Pipe Sizes are specified by OD and Tubing by ID. In any case the program still specifies OD, Its will take any size input you give it, But in the help section of this program I mention to refer to manufacturers specifications for all sizes. So if you put in the wrong info, Thats on you. One of the reasons why I used lists to start with.

The Buzzard,

Iron pipe sizes thru 12" NPS (Nominal Pipe Size) are just that, nominal.

The nominal is the I.D. which varies greatly with the schedule.

The O.D. is set standard.

Starting at 14" the size is the O.D.

Most dished head tanks I have worked with have been 24" O.D. or greater.

Yes, I agree with you. The specs that I was using in the program were from Brighton Tru-Edge Heads. But I guess there is nothing wrong with some flexibility putting the size info in manually. It does not take that much longer to put in anyway. I used to work for a Process Chiller Manufacturer and we built our own oil separators and receivers etc. Much of what was done was on the large side.

Yes, being able to input the info is a great idea.

The head manufacturers don't want to give catalogs out like they used to in the old days.

I have a Lukens catalog dated 1940 that even has prices listed.

Yes, being able to input the info is a great idea.

The head manufacturers don't want to give catalogs out like they used to in the old days.

I have a Lukens catalog dated 1940 that even has prices listed.

I know exactly what you mean, It took me several months just to get the information needed before I started the program. The calculations were another big nightmare. I am just glad I was able to finish the code I have posted. Any materials so far I gathered I have stored on my system.

Yeah the reason I was asking for user input is the vessels we build are all customer fabricated pieces. None are to standard size. That it why we build to ID and not OD. The ID is specified by the customer as to what kind of process they are doing. So for us nothing is standard other than following PIP standards when the client does not specify there own requirements. This makes this program awesome. Thanks a bunch.

I was glad to take care of that for you. As I noticed it does add some flexibility to it. Please put it through its paces and let me know if there are any problems. I am going to wait a bit before I repost to the first post.

the buzzaed,

i downloaded and ran V0.4 today.

seems to be a problem with the drop downs for od, thk and sf.

the od is fixed for 24, the thk is fixed for .25 and the sf is fixed for 1.5.

digger