Materials

herdy1212

Hi all,

I'm having an issue trying to get a tile in my render to look like the actual tile.

In the 2 images below, the left is a close up of the rendered tile and as you can see it is very bright and washed out.

The image on the right is how the tile should look. I havent changed anything on the tile in the material editor.

Anyone know how I could get the tile in the render to look like actual tile?

Also if anyone reading this ventures over to the Autocad 3D modelling and rendering forum you will probably notice that this same question is being asked there.

Yesterday when I posted I must have just seen the words "3D modelling and rendering" and figured that was the correct place to ask.

Then I clicked and thought it probably wasn't the correct area since it said "Autocad" at the start, apologises for that :oops:

Eighth Sin ForumTile.jpg

Eighth SinTile.jpg

Also if anyone reading this ventures over to the Autocad 3D modelling and rendering forum you will probably notice that this same question is being asked there.

I thought this question looked familiar. :P

Can you post a screenshot of your material editor so I can see your settings?

hmmm guess that was a little small, im trying to save it so it can fit the forums requirements of 800x600.

when i print screen my 3d max and open it up in photoshop and copy and paste it to a sheet size of 800x600 it comes out very blurred and can't actually read anything because its too distorted.

i don't suppose you would have any tips on how to overcome this as well would you? :(

I'm not sure why that's happening? What resolution are you choosing with your 800x600 image in Photoshop? You need a resolution of at least 72. And I only need to see what's outlined in red below.

Untitled-1.jpg

hmm ill try and sort that out in the near future, for now I have tried a different method to attempt to get a darker looking tile.

I have gone through each individual tile in the scene and 'exluded' them from each of the lights.

I figured since the tiles were coming out quite bright that id get rid of them from the lights parameters so I didn't affect the rest of the scene by simply dimming the lights.

This probably isn't the most efficient and effective way of doing it, but it gets me back on track and closer to finishing the project.

Although since I am having difficulty getting the image to a decent quality to be read, i'll write up a brief summary of that section you are looking for:

1) Material - Standard

2) Shader Basic Parameters - (drop down box - Metal) and none of the 4 boxes are ticked.

3a) Metal Basic Parameters - Ambient and Diffuse colours are grey with the locked key on.

b) Self Illumination is set to Zero and not ticked

c) Opacity is set to 100

d) Specular Levels and Glossiness are both set to Zero.

When I dragged and dropped the tile material from my desktop to the material editor slot everything came up with the default settings.

The only thing I touched was the "Metal" drop down box in the shader basic parameters.

I'm guessing that you're probably using Photometric lights, correct? I just ran a test with your material using a standard light and then using a photometric light and the material become significantly brighter under the photometric light. So, you could try lowering the light intensity, or try out some of the other photometric light options, or try play with the light color. Or just use standard lights instead. Or, you could take your material into Photoshop and darken it a bit.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. I've got to get some sleep. Good luck.