How do you export families?

JeepMaster

Our company just bought REVIT MEP 2010 and I'm looking for a way to extract all the families in this sample project our client provided so we can use it on their other new project. Right now, the only way I know how is open each family and do a save as. This is very time consuming as there are hundreds of families created on the sample project. Is there a way to "export" all the families at once? I'm brand new to REVIT. Thanks.

Browse to the family section on the project browser. Right click on the family and select save. This just export one at a time, but you don't have to open the family.

Thanks Profcad, that save me lot of time. Just wish there was a family export command. Oh well, guess I can do a few hundred clicks to save the family...

...that sounded funny.:D

• 5 weeks later...

Might be a bit late, but it might be easier just to ask the client for the family files directly. If you're dealing with system families which don't have a seperate .rfa file you can import them all by using the "transfer project standards" tool. I didn't see any indication that this worked for non-system families however, but I've been wrong before.

I would try using their project and just cleaning out the items you don't need... views, sections, sheets, etc. After that, you can use the Transfer Project Standards to pull system families and settings from your company template.

I realize this is probably too late for the OP, but if anyone else now or in the future runs into this same issue, I've provided an alternate solution.

• 1 month later...

Also... you can use the SaveAs -> Library -> Family functionality to select your family from a list. This might be easier than hunting around in the project browser.