Polyline missing on "Reference From" 2008

manyee

When I want to draw a polyline utilizing a refence point in ACAD 2006, I usually just right click the mouse and choose the "From" and pick any point as a reference point and the polyline will still visible so I can use the snap point to create certain length of the polyline.

Now, I'm using ACAD 2008 Mechanical and when I right click, they change that "From" option to "Reference From" and my problem is that after I click that "Reference From", my polyline disappeared so I cannot see the rectangular snap when I refer it to a reference point.

Can somebody help me to make that polyline visible after I click that "Reference From"?

Thanks a lot,

It's not easy to tell what you're asking? Maybe you could explain your command sequence on the command line as I don't use the right click customisation you do? I guess this might be the case for others too?

Maybe a screen print of F2?

I don't know if this helps, but here is a copy from F2

Command:

PLINE

Specify start point:

Current line-width is 0'-0"

Specify next point or [Arc/Halfwidth/Length/Undo/Width]:

Reference point:

Relative point: 12

(6961.67 1571.8 0.0)

Specify next point or [Arc/Close/Halfwidth/Length/Undo/Width]: *Cancel*

I just tried what you're describing, not so sure I can recreate the problem though. I still have "From" and not "Referenced From" but I don't see the Polyline when I've selected a 'From'-point. However, I have Polar on and by hovering over the last point of the polyline I have drawn, I can use the Polar-rays from it. Does this make sense? :?

I have "Reference From" in my [shift] right click menu, but have no idea how it works, is it like polar tracking Tiger? If so I don't understand the requirement for it?

I looks like it's a bit more powerful than Polar tracking but quite alike yes. I didn't play with it too much so I can't say when it'd be good to use.

Yep I got it- you can reference using relative or direct input coords. I have no problem with the command though, and I have "Reference From".

Hi GE13579,

Can you see the polyline stretched, following your cursor, after you select that reference from?

I couldn't see mine which makes my reference is meaningless since I can't refer my original point to the next point.

Manyee, I may well still be missing something here, but you will only see the polyline when you are snapping to your next point. When you reference from something if you use relative coordinates or direct input using polar tracking, the line you will see will be from the reference point as opposed to the last pl point.

Hope this makes sense?

The thing is I don't have problem with ACAD 2006 or my personal 2007.

But since we use this ACAD Mech 2008 at the office, this Polyline from origin point can't be viewed anymore after we refer it to reference point.

The line will show eventually after I finish the command but it will end up at some other places instead of where I wanted it to be.

I was hoping that someone here can probably show me how to change the setting in CAD Mech 2008 to make this polyline appear normal like in ACAD 2006 or 2007.

Thanks

Surely if you're referencing from the previous point you are simply continuing the polyline command though and have no need to reference from...?

Well, yes I understand that. But my case is different.

I use the next point as a reference of how long my line will be from the starting point.

So it's kind of backward. It's very useful if we use polyline a lot.

But anyway, I switched to regular AutoCAD 2008 instead of AutoCAD Mech 2008.

And the problem disappear right away. I can use that reference point just like when I use ACAD2006.

I'm still wondering what's wrong with my ACAD Mech 2008 :?

Thanks for everybody who have helped.

Ok I've had a look in Vanilla '06 and it does behave slightly differently, in that when you first click reference from, the "banjo string" (?) disappears in Mech but remains in Vanilla. After selecting the reference point, or the from point, they both behave the same again- I guess this is the difference between the two packages.

I'm afraid I have no idea if there is a variable to change this. :(

Yup that's what I was trying to find out. Even though I was a little bit confused when you first mentioned "Vanilla", "Banjo String" ....hehehe...

That's ok GE13579, I really appreciate your help.

I guess I'll just use the AutoCAD 2008 for now.