Scale in AutoCad

Frazer1987

Set the viewport scale first. Then double-click inside the viewport and use the pan command to locate the drawing you want. Once you have it set up the way you want LOCK the viewport!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• gsksun4

• Frazer1987

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In simple terms just imagine you are looking through a window and there are 5 trees in the garden, if you scroll/move the window along untill you can see the tree you want and then stop and select that drawing or part of it and scale it correctly, then select the viewpoint by left clicking on it, then using right click select display locked yes, thats how you install each drawing to the viewpoint of your layout.

Naddoo:

We appreciate the help but Cad64 brought up a concern regarding the videos that to my knowledge you have not responded to.

Naddoo:

We appreciate the help but Cad64 brought up a concern regarding the videos that to my knowledge you have not responded to.

I'm back and going through it as you guys speak. It's actually better than the tutorial. I have my scale set in the viewport and locked. I'm in paperspace and all that's showing on the screen is the area in the viewport. I only want one viewport at this time. I also set the page setup manager. Waiting eagerly to see what to do next. I will conquer this thing even if it kills me.

Plot?

I don't know. What do you want to do next?

You have the view of the object(s) that you want right? And the scale is set to what you want. Sooooooo.........?

Plot?

I don't know. What do you want to do next?

You have the view of the object(s) that you want right? And the scale is set to what you want. Sooooooo.........?

Plotting now. Success!!! PLotted to scale. Only thing is, the viewport wouldn't zoom extents.

I must admit, I didn't go through the whole views setup because I only wanted one small area at this time, so I just went to the layout tab, stretchede the viewport to what I wanted, followed your direction and I got the results.

My next challenge will be to get the title block to plot out with just the viewport I created. I also have to go back over setting up the multiple views like you said in the beginning. That's where I had trouble yesterday with the tutorial. I couldn't get back into the modle space screen by either clicking on the tab or the button at the lower right.

Zooming in a locked viewport won't work. That's why we locked it. So you won't inadvertantly change the scale by zooming in/out. That can only lead to disaster if you are not careful. Unlock the viewport. Change your scale. Lock the viewport.

You can get back into model space by double clicking inside a viewport.

Zooming in a locked viewport won't work. That's why we locked it. So you won't inadvertantly change the scale by zooming in/out. That can only lead to disaster if you are not careful. Unlock the viewport. Change your scale. Lock the viewport.

You can get back into model space by double clicking inside a viewport.

Yes, model space inside the viewport. Yesterday I was in a different drawing and couldn't get back into model space of the entire drawing by clicking on the model tab. Today, different drawing it works. I just unlocked the viewport, did zoom extents and nothing. I have the gray screen at extents, then the black screen in the middle of the screen at about half screen, then my viewport about 1/4 of the black area. In the past, I could always zoom extents the viewport in paperspace. I see this is one of those things you have to do over and over to get comfortable with.

Don't want to be a pest with this and string it out. I might need to go back over the tutorial. You've certainly helped again ReMark, as always I thank you.

Glenn

Something sounds not quite right. Want to email me the drawing?

Maybe so, I zipped it to post here, but it's still 725 KB.

Does this forum have PM Mail?

Please delete your email address from the post above. Not wise to post it in a public forum unless you take pains to disguise it. Example:

m y p e r s o n a l e m a i l a d d r e s s a i m c o m

That way it can't be harvested by a bot.

Please delete your email address from the post above. Not wise to post it in a public forum unless you take pains to disguise it. Example:

m y p e r s o n a l e m a i l a d d r e s s a i m c o m

That way it can't be harvested by a bot.

It's on the way. E-mail deleted.

I see we can PM, but there's no attach button.

Hmmmm....it seems somebody emailed me a drawing. In the words of the Terminator....I'll be back.

Will respond to you via email unless for some reason or other you wish for me to share any comments publicly. It's your choice.

Hmmmm....it seems somebody emailed me a drawing. In the words of the Terminator....I'll be back.

Will respond to you via email unless for some reason or other you wish for me to share any comments publicly. It's your choice.

Whatever's easier for you. Here is fine also.

I'll be gentle.

I see you have placed your viewport on the defpoints layer. I've done that is the past myself but I would recommend you consider creating a non-plotting viewports layer.

You have a rather large frame on layer _Refline. It appears to measure 42x30. What is this for?

Your paper size is quite a bit smaller. Roughly 34x22. Why?

The viewport you created is not locked. I highly recommend you lock your viewports when you have them set up the way you want. It is too easy to mess them up inadvertantly.

By the way, I had no trouble going into model space and then back out.

So what is it that you now want to do with this drawing?

I'll be gentle.

I see you have placed your viewport on the defpoints layer. I've done that is the past myself but I would recommend you consider creating a non-plotting viewports layer.

You have a rather large frame on layer _Refline. It appears to measure 42x30. What is this for?

Your paper size is quite a bit smaller. Roughly 34x22. Why?

The viewport you created is not locked. I highly recommend you lock your viewports when you have them set up the way you want. It is too easy to mess them up inadvertantly.

By the way, I had no trouble going into model space and then back out.

So what is it that you now want to do with this drawing?

I know about the layer defpoints, this is just a trash drawing I'm testing things on. The drawing came from a customer. I didn't draw it. I just clean them up and put my telecommunications blocks onto them. The 22x34 is what I plotted it at. Don't know about that frame at all. Not my drawing. No need to be gentile, I value your input. I've learned much here from you and the others.

I guess I wonder why I can't zoom that viewport to extents, and I'd like to know how you guys set up my title block around the viewport.

I'm leaving work now, and sorry, but I'll have to resume this tomorrow.

I hope we can continue, this is a very valuable thread.

Thank you again ReMark.

I was able, without any difficulty what-so-ever, to do a Zoom > Extents within the single viewport of the drawing you emailed me. Perhaps you did not double-click inside the viewport itself first. This puts you in the model space environment. When I did it, I was able to see the entire floor plan as well as the titleblock and border.

As regards your own titleblock and border I would recommend inserting it in your layout. Of course, I am assuming your TB&B are drawn at 1:1 scale (full size). Normally one would size the paper used in the layout such that it was accommadate one's TB&B. Some tweaking may be necessary.

Note: Anything that fits within the dashed lines that you see will print. Anything outside those dashed lines will not print. Consider that area to be akin to the dead space usually seen around the outside of a TB&B. Make sense to you?

And by the way, your plot scale will be 1:1. AutoCAD will know how to plot the viewport based upon the scale you assigned to it.

Now, go forth and plot. Good luck.

Proof I was able to do a Zoom > Extents. You'll notice that I erased the frame and any text that was outside of what would be considered the paper.

Floor_Plan.jpg

The first set of solid lines inside the dashed lines would be the viewport frame. The titleblock and border can be seen within.

Proof I was able to do a Zoom > Extents. You'll notice that I erased the frame and any text that was outside of what would be considered the paper.

[ATTACH]19814[/ATTACH]

The first set of solid lines inside the dashed lines would be the viewport frame. The titleblock and border can be seen within.

OK, I just inserted the T-block into the layout (black area inside the dashed line). Nice. ReMark, I just deleted that frame you pointed out and a few pieces of stray text that were in the gray area outside the layout and everything is now zoom extents. It was that frame holding it back. You can hardly see that frame on the gray background, but it's gone now and all is well. Will now plot with the border inserted as well. This is great progress for me. It all makes sense now. Can't thank you enough, as always.

Have a great day friend.

Glenn

Your good news (...great progress for me) and enthusiasm Glenn has brightend my day. You're entirely welcomed.