how to create raked patterns on max

ThrashMetal

hey all, I need help on how to create raked patterns on a surface, raked as in the raked patterns we see on japanese landscapes..i tried modeling it on cad but its a nosebleed since its a long and difficult process, i want to know if there is a simpler way..thanks in advance..:D

Right, you don't want to model stuff like that. You can use a bump map or a normal map to create that type of patterned surface. You won't see it in the modeling window, but it will show up in the render.

i tried that too, i used bump and noise at my maps but they didnt show up like i wanted to, it looked like the sahara desert..lol..i want to show the image i rendered but i dont know how to post it here..

I've also been looking in the internet for bitmaps or jpeg images that atleast emulates the patterns used by the Japanese but i cant seem to find one that's acceptable..i really need help..lol..

I've also been looking in the internet for bitmaps or jpeg images that atleast emulates the patterns used by the Japanese but i cant seem to find one that's acceptable..i really need help..lol..

You really can't rely on found images for use in your own work. In order to get exactly what you want, you will probably need to create it yourself in an image editing program like Photoshop.

• 2 weeks later...

:) Was Too Busy Posting This Early But Better Late Than Never..here's A "not Too Perfect" Example Of The Rake Pattern I Ask About although the "BUMP" and SCALER part can really need more practice..thanks Cad For The Help, If I Have Modeled It Then It Would Really Have Been Too Difficult And Too Pathetic..lol..

ORIENTAL LANDSCAPE 1.jpg

ORIENTAL LANDSCAPE 5.jpg

ORIENTAL LANDSCAPE 2.jpg

....:D

Looks pretty good, but the sand looks a little rough. I think I would refine the bump map a little bit to soften it and remove some of the lumpiness. But it's a good start. Also, your stone path looks really flat. Do you have a bump map applied to it?

Is this a real place or is it something you just created?

Yeah i think i placed a little too much bump on the thing, it was about 300 or something but when i lowered it to default, the bump or raked pattern seemed unnoticeable, im actually doing trial and error on it now..

the path was just bitmap alone, i dont have the black and white thingy you place on the bump map..lol..can you edit the actual image used and turn the colored part as white and the lines as black on photoshop?

this is actually our thesis in architecture wherein we are asked to renovate one of our parks here namely Burnham Park which is about time since its a disaster..hopefully it will be implemented..:)

the path was just bitmap alone, i dont have the black and white thingy you place on the bump map..lol..can you edit the actual image used and turn the colored part as white and the lines as black on photoshop?

Yes, that's exactly how you do it.