Maximum number of layers

jonmadjon

As a developer we do almost everything in house so we have to have our Architectural drawings used for setting out on site, the M&E engineers, civils, structural engineers stuff and of course due to shrinking deadlines we use our floor plans for kitchen drawings, bathrooms drawings, duct plans etc so each house plan get used on 5-6 different drawings with different scales and different layering requirements. We also have no drawing standards so some people flood the drawings with even more layers than we actually need.

lol, those people would hate me, I'd be all over them with standards and layering guidlines ....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DANIEL

• Glen1980

• rkmcswain

• ReMark

Some of us would welcome that, but the management can't see the benefit of proper standards as nothing has gone horribly wrong..... yet :cry:

Some of us would welcome that, but the management can't see the benefit of proper standards as nothing has gone horribly wrong..... yet :cry:

I beg to differ, there is plenty going wrong from my perspective and its costing them man hours, it can be difficult to get management that doesnt understand to see the benifits of standards and layering guidlines and enforcing them but the truth is that it will save them money, thats what you need to sell them, once they see that all these layers are eating up there man hours and creating even more work for you I can't see them arguing to much, as one who has had to fight this battle i can tell you it won't be won unless management gives someone the authority to enforce it and then actually does, the culprits will fight back. Even the reluctant ones will eventually see that you have made there life easier but in my case there were casualties, people who simply would not conform, they were moved to another department and eventually let go, not fun stuff but we now have in placed a set of standards that are adhered to and we have a fairly well oiled machine as a result.

My colleague had a drawing with 1003 layers today....and he found that the layers in the drop down lost alphabetical ordering.....Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, set MAXLAYERS to a number greater than the number of layers, or just set it to 32767 and forget it.

I don't get why so many companies demand so many layers ... I recieved a file once with over 13, 000 layers, i was able to purge it down to like a thousand or so, absolutely ridiculous if you ask me lol

13 THOUSAND layers?:shock: A couple hundred is excessive, a couple thousand is ridiculous. 13,000 is insane. Did ever dry wall screw have its own layer? How could you possibly need 13,000 layers?

I agree with Remark

My I ask the reason for using in excess of let's say 60 layers?

From what I have gleaned this seems to be peculiar to civil/architectural practice!

13 THOUSAND layers?:shock: A couple hundred is excessive' date=' a couple thousand is ridiculous. 13,000 is insane. Did ever dry wall screw have its own layer? How could you possibly need 13,000 layers?[/quote']

the better question is how could you possibly utilize that many layers ......

I spoke to my colleague again today he convinced the guys who drew the floor plans he'd x-reffed into the site plan to open and purge all of their drawings and guess what?

The site plan immediately dropped to 550 layers. Not great but with 20 drawings in there and our dinosaur computers still run OK with it.

• 2 weeks later...
As a developer we do almost everything in house so we have to have our Architectural drawings used for setting out on site, the M&E engineers, civils, structural engineers stuff and of course due to shrinking deadlines we use our floor plans for kitchen drawings, bathrooms drawings, duct plans etc so each house plan get used on 5-6 different drawings with different scales and different layering requirements. We also have no drawing standards so some people flood the drawings with even more layers than we actually need.

It is pretty much the same for us. There are CAD standards although each department has slightly different standards (no layer name standards either). I.e. if a job started with a survey then progressed to architecture then to civil engineering services you would hardly realize all three were from the same company.

10 minutes until I was about to knock off today and I thought I had screwed up an alignment majorly then realized my UCS had changed somehow (and it was all good once returned to world view).

Most files I work with have 200 to 500 layers in them. When you have different road strings, existing services, proposed services, annotation etc it quickly adds up. I would rather be sent a drawing with good (and lots of) layers rather than too few layers.

With layer names, I either create the layer names myself or generally get the base data from someone who does it similarly. Likewise if I pass off drafting to someone I give the plans to be drafted to someone who I know is competent and does it the way I want. There is no point giving it to someone who doesn't know what I want/won't do it correctly.

........lost alphabetical ordering.......?
Look up MAXSORT system variable. That will fix that issue.

I'm civil engineering, and when we ref in the existing geometry, proposed geometry, utilities, landscaping, buildings, etc......sometimes I have 15 or more xrefs attached. At that point it's not uncommon to be over 1000 layers.