• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mcad88

• Tankman

• eldon

First you need to straighten out your drawing.

You have what appears to be two lines designated as insulation that are defined by a series of dots. You also have a layer called Insulation with the linetype of Batting assigned to it. Yet, making the Insulation layer current and freezing all other layers neither of the lines are visible. What is the reason for this?

The block called "Batting_Line" is actually on layer "0".

The other line is on the Building layer. The layer's linetype has been overridden (not a recommended procedure) and set as Batting instead of Continuous.

Both the line and the block should have been placed on the Insulation layer. Why? That's the only layer assigned the linetype Batting.

So, do that first then make the Insulation layer current and freeze all the other layers. We want to see what we're doing with no interference.

ReMark, I came to the same conclusions. Drawing is like a puzzle.

I can't imagine how the OP got into the mess.

I found it easier to copy 'n paste into a new template. Time to start over.

Needs an SOP (standard operating procedure).

Any ideas why the numerous line types were AWOL? :?

Let's continue.

Change the linetype for the Insulation layer to Continuous.

Explode the block (the lower angled line).

Click on the long straight line above it and using Properties change the Linetype to "By Layer". It should now be Continuous as well.

Run the Purge command. Purge > Blocks > Batting_Line. And also purge Linetypes > Batting. Purge > Text styles > Style-ltypeshp.

Save then close the drawing.

Now close AutoCAD.

Wait a moment then reopen AutoCAD.

We're in the final stages of our exercise.

We have reopened AutoCAD. Call up our drawing.

Click on Format > Linetype > Load. Hopefully we do not get any error messages regarding bad linetype definitions.

Scroll down and select Batting then click the OK button. Click OK one more time to exit dialog window.

Open Layer Properties Manager. Assign the linetype Batting to the Insulation layer and click on the OK button for the Select Linetype dialog window.

Our drawing should now depict the proper linetype for the lines placed on the Insulation layer. Adjust the linetype scale to suit your needs using the Quick Properties or regular Properties options.

Done.

Save your drawing now.

In the future do NOT override a layer's linetype unless you absolutely have no other choice.

In the future do NOT put similar objects (such as insulation) on multiple layers when they really belong on just one layer.

In the future...set some standards for yourself and adhere to them. You'll have less problems down the road.

I think we are done here.

Tankman:

I'm going to say lack of proper training may be a contributing factor.

No doubt, lack of something.

I did some adult night school but, wouldn't have a clue drawing anything except what I know, tanks, pipes, valves. A stringer would be out of the question.

Early 60's, high school, loved drafting and mechanical drawing while attending a trade school.

Now, AutoCAD, don't need a cup hook with my electric eraser any longer. I must admit, I was at one time dead set against AutoCAD. Now, can't live without it! 8)

My favorites PURGE & AUDIT!

I'm not saying the OP needs to take a two year associate's degree style course but even a one semester AutoCAD basic/intermediate style course might help get him straightened out. Some of the things we see people do here just boggles the mind. It's like "Where did they learn this stuff? From a witchdoctor?"

ReMark/Tankman

Thanks for your guideance and remarks about OP. Was asked he was proficent with Autocad? Oh yes, was his answer. I have learn't my lesson........ I, will get back to you and let you know how I get on

You have what appears to be two lines designated as insulation that are defined by a series of dots. You also have a layer called Insulation with the linetype of Batting assigned to it. Yet, making the Insulation layer current and freezing all other layers neither of the lines are visible. What is the reason for this?

The block called "Batting_Line" is actually on layer "0".

The other line is on the Building layer. The layer's linetype has been overridden (not a recommended procedure) and set as Batting instead of Continuous.

Both the line and the block should have been placed on the Insulation layer. Why? That's the only layer assigned the linetype Batting.

So, do that first then make the Insulation layer current and freeze all the other layers. We want to see what we're doing with no interference.

Sorry ReMark

Do not know the answer to this post

Why? Is it because you are not the originator of the drawing?

You should still follow the advice. At least if you have to share the drawing with someone else or return it to the originator it will be corrected. That will be an improvement.

You are absolutely right - it was in a mess sent to OP came back in more a mess.

You have are a gem (should not forget the others input and hard work) to get me out of this mess. I did exactly as you indicated in your previous post and whole file nnow works perfectly. I have to iron out the layer issues now.

With respect to all that helped me

Thank you soooo much

You're welcomed. We like a challenge.

The tip jar is on the counter.:lol:

Thanks for the Hint - Understood ---- Just very grateful ....... :D I will honour this one .........

Or you can just buy everyone who attempted to assist you a couple of rounds of beer.

From here, How?:D

or

are you comming over?

How about Friday or Saturday evening. I think you may take a little longer to get here as you know Concord has been grounded