Can I "mirror" the text of an attribute??

tzframpton

I'm wanting to create a matchline block with an attribute on both ends of the polyline set with a hidden linetype. These two attributes are going to represent the viewport tag and sheet number. Example: 01/M2.12

Instead of typing this twice, can I just type it once in one attribute and it displays on both ends?? Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DNK

• dbroada

• Ryder76

• tzframpton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if there's a FIELD that can do it? Hmmmm..... I might try and look just in case... but I think you're right, don't think its possible. :(

I think I ran across a way of using fields to do it.

Edit:

Make it a block.

In one attribute, insert a field.

Field Category-->Objects

Fileld Names-->Object

Object Type-->Select the block

Property-->[The other attribute tag]

Regen will update the fielded value.

this is similar to trying to put drawing numbers in two places - and I haven't found a easy way to do that. I think you can set it up on the drawing you are doing with fields but you have to re-create it on each drawing. It can't be made into a block for continued use.

this is similar to trying to put drawing numbers in two places - and I haven't found a easy way to do that. I think you can set it up on the drawing you are doing with fields but you have to re-create it on each drawing. It can't be made into a block for continued use.

What do you mean by drawing numbers?

that was just the most recent request. Each of our drawings are numbered and it appears twice on each sheet, once in the TL corner, once in the BR.

I think I ran across a way of using fields to do it.

Edit:

Make it a block.

In one attribute, insert a field.

Field Category-->Objects

Fileld Names-->Object

Object Type-->Select the block

Property-->[The other attribute tag]

This can also be done with raw text.

If you have two text elements, edit the text of one, insert field.

Field category --> Object

Object Type --> [select the other text element]

Property --> Contents

that was just the most recent request. Each of our drawings are numbered and it appears twice on each sheet, once in the TL corner, once in the BR.

Are the numbers also present in the file name?

in most cases in which case you can use the file name field but in some cases it isn't.

I accept your method work as I have done it but from memory it only works in the drawing that you do it in. Once it is made in to a block for future use I have only ever got it to work with default strings, not an active one. I'll try again when I get to work tomorrow but I am convinced I have tried many times before.

in most cases in which case you can use the file name field but in some cases it isn't.

I accept your method work as I have done it but from memory it only works in the drawing that you do it in. Once it is made in to a block for future use I have only ever got it to work with default strings, not an active one. I'll try again when I get to work tomorrow but I am convinced I have tried many times before.

I don't understand what you mean here.

I am talking about making this "double number" as part of a block which can be inserted into a drawing so that you only type the attribute once and the text will update.

Does your method work in this instance? I have only ever got the repeated text to display whatever you put as the default for the attribute. I have never been able to type in a new value and have the repeated text display what I typed into the attribute box.

I would love to see a block able to do this. I can't test until tomorrow so can you post a block that does this for me please.

If you happen to use sheet set manager it is possible. You first need to create views for each detail, section, etc. then from the Model view tab drag the view into your sheets (into paperspace) which in turn creates a view in the Sheet view tab where you can give the view a number and a title. Then in your section bubble insert a field and point it to your sheet view number and or title. If this ever changes in your sheet set manager it will update in all your sheets it applies to.

sorry Tanner, I appear to have hijacked your thread. At least we are talking generic so if it works for me it will work for you. :)

I will modify my original statement. I can't get this to work as a block across several drawings. Clearly I am lacking in understanding so hopefully somebody can educate me as I would dearly love to know how to get this to work.

PLEASE can somebody explain how to make a block that can be inserted into another drawing where an attribute typed in is echoed in a piece of text within that block.

I can't get this to work as a block across several drawings. Clearly I am lacking in understanding so hopefully somebody can educate me as I would dearly love to know how to get this to work.

PLEASE can somebody explain how to make a block that can be inserted into another drawing where an attribute typed in is echoed in a piece of text within that block.

Me too, me too - I would like to know how to do that.:)