best way to create stairs?

bastymydawg

Hi guys, i just finished taking autocad 2010 at microcadd. We're able to produce a 2 storey house plan and create a 3d model of it's exteriors. and now some question arises, if i will create a 3d model of the interior, how will i create the stairs and railings? I've tried extruding some rectangles and i was able to produce the steps of the stairs needed but it was "plain" in my point of view. What if i want to put railings with designs ? How do i do it...?

Is the railing going to be straight or curved?

Is there a landing half-way up the stairs at which point the stairs make a turn?

You'll need to construct the treads, risers, handrail, newell post and spindles depending on the type of stairs and the style of the house.

@nukecad

I've read the other thread that you posted, i can't find the stair tool.

@remark

I've attached the file here to give you guys a good look at it.

Thanks

Questions:

How can I put rails? let's say a tubing or wooden style with some curve?

And Tips on making the stairs faster or better , instead of looking at it like a stack of boxes.

stairs test.dwg

@nukecad

I've read the other thread that you posted, i can't find the stair tool.

I believe it is only available in Architecture and Revit.

KC

I took a brief look at your drawing. Yes, boxes just don't cut it. You do have an idea of what goes into constructing a stair case in the field right? You know, such things as stringers and framing along with the other things I mentioned in my previous post?

Could you tell us what measurement system you are using? Imperial or Metric?

Duh! Yep, looked at the drawing again. It appears you are using metric (millimeters). Please confirm.

Stairs tend to be made up of re-occurring parts. Only a relatively few parts needed. I would make a block of each unique part (treads, risers, handrail, newell post and spindles) and then simply assemble or pattern the blocks.

Given the repetitive nature of a stairs assembly I can't think of too many assemblies that would be easier to do. Stairs might be a good method of learning to use blocks.

Questions:

How can I put rails? let's say a tubing or wooden style with some curve?

And Tips on making the stairs faster or better , instead of looking at it like a stack of boxes.

First make your rail posts and copy them at evenly spaced intervals.

I used "3DPOLY" command to create the extrude path for my rail profile... Sweep will also work but sometimes the alignment can be a problem... You can create your rail profile in WCS, (no need to make perpendicular to path).

stair.png

stair1.png

I took the liberty of slicing the bottom of your treads...

This was simple but you can get as detailed as you wish.

Good Luck

KC

Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to practice more,,,,I've been using Autocad for merely a month, This field is very new to me though, i was just curious on how to do it.

Like Kencaz if you want a spiral stair case its quite easy you just need to create 1 single step and hand rail, the rail requires a curve drawn using a tilted ucs then extrude a shape along it. = step height

Step 2 make a block, copy rotate and move verticaly one instant 3d spiral staircase, I have a lisp to do the copy rotate and it blows people away to see a spiral stair case appear before their eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

We've been designing feature stairs in Inventor for some time.

I'm kicking off a series of articles going through staircase and balustrade design in Autodesk Inventor.

Just starting it off now, but I'll continue to post every few days until it's complete.

You can find them on my website in the 'Resources' section. Don't think links are allowed here, but just google 'Arden Stairs' and you should find us.

Feedback on improving the articles would be very welcome :).