which image file is less pixelated?

Devilinity

if i design a logo in photoshop, what file format will make it less pixelated for when i use it on my work and letters ... cos jpg normally pixelates, so which one doesn't much?

• 3 weeks later...

You can adjust the settings of jpg to be less compressed, although if it's basic colors and text, .gif will look better. The higher the resolution, the better it will print.

• 4 weeks later...

.tif is my all-time favorite. It's an old file format, definitely not the best compression, but there won't be any pixel distortion. That .jpg pixelation effect is called jpeg compression, it has to do with the way .jpgs compress and minimalise their file size by grouping it into larger squares. If your image has a very simple color palate, I would use a .gif It's a very common file format that uses a specifically selected color palate based on the colors in the image. .bmp files work well too, but again not the best compression. .png's are becoming popular these days, perhaps give that a try. You can also save it as a .pdf if you want.

In terms of resolution, if this is going to be printed I would use 300 or 600 dpi (ppi), depending on the quality you desire, if it's just going to be on screen you probably don't need higher than 72.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Bitmap has less compression than a jpeg. If not a bitmap go for a .png file that file size is est 10kb larger than jpeg

Edited by Danny
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure what ever your designing/rendering render BIG than use PH to resize with the highest quality. Example lets say I am working in Terragen or rendering a scene in any application and I want the end result to be 1200 X 900 pixs, I will render the image 4800 X 3600 Pixels than in PH resize to 1200 X 900 Pixs, more pixels in close proximity means a crisper more realalistic image. Make sure you have proper software to do this PH or PSP. Don't open Microsoft Picture manager or windows paint and resize it will trash the image. Test this and you will see a remarkable difference in you renders/images

Edited by Danny
more information

• 2 weeks later...

Some good advice here. If you must use Photoshop then make sure you keep the original logo in .psd file. Depending on what your logo looks like it could be either gif (supports transparency) or jpg (better if you use gradients and lots of colors) or png (similar to jpg). Most logos online (I did a quick search) seem to be jpgs and it should work fine for you too. Simple matter of finding the right compression in order to get a good balance between quality and file size.

Photoshop's Save for Web is your most important tool here. It allows you to preview the logo in different formats so you can check out what format gives you what quality at what file size.

Something like http://articles.sitepoint.com/article/gif-jpg-png-whats-difference is a good intro into the differences between GIF, JPG and PNG.

• 3 months later...

f700es is correct, Devilinity. You should always have your logo in a vector format. This is a rule that all graphic designers know. You can resize a vector file without any loss in quality with a raster based logo you'll be restricted to making it larger with pixelation.