dxf drawing as an Xref

siderus

I am running 2002. I received several dxf drawings. I have to draw in my ductwork to these drawings. The engineer will not give me Autocad friendly drawings that I can modify. I was told that I could import the drawing as an X-ref and draw over it. Can't seem to figure out how to do this though. I wont even show as a file that this can be done to when I try to use the Xref command. Please help. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated as well

Couldnt you just open the .dfx-files and "save as" dwg.-Files. Once you have .dwg-files you can easily X-ref them into your drawing via X-ref manager.

There may be better ways but that what i can think of.

Maybe you saying dwf not dxf. I know you can open dxf in CAD then save as in dwg file. Ask the Engineer to give it to you the dxf or dwg file not the dwf.

I'm sorry I goofed they are dwf files.oops

The engineers will not release regular Autocad files. But I was told that I could import the dwf as an x-ref but can't seem to figure out how.

just had a quick read of the cad bible - a dwf is not a drawing as such, it can be bought in as and underlay as it is only a "compressed image representation of a drawing" the main options i've found are,

Adjust a dwf - adjusting it's appearance on the drawing

clipping a dwf - clipping options

as far as I can tell, yes it can be bought in LIKE an xref using the DWFATTACH command, but you won't be able to edit the drawing dwf, just how it appears within the drawing you have referenced it in to.

Maybe you saying dwf not dxf. I know you can open dxf in CAD then save as in dwg file. Ask the Engineer to give it to you the dxf or dwg file not the dwf.

Open *.dxf files in AutoCAD all the time.

Open then select type of file *.dxf. :)

wasn't this ability just enabled in the last few releases of Acad ?

I'd just go back to the engineer and tell them - if they can't provide the files, you can't do the job, end of story