All text gets huge when i change the scale

cegrad

Ok, so i'm not sure what is going on because i've been working on these drawings for a while and have never had this problem before, but this is what is happening.

I am working on a layout and double click to enter a viewport. Then I try to get the correct scale to fit the size of the page so i change the scale, but as soon as I do the text from annotations and dimensions gets enormous and fills the entire viewport all squished together.

What is going on? :?

Was the text and dimensions created by you or someone else? If they were made by someone else there might be a problem with the annotation scale, and the paperspace text height might be set inappropriate for the scale you choose, see the properties of any text object or dimension object and see if ANNOTATIVE is set to YES, if so look at the PAPER TEXT HEIGHT, and make sure it is not too big.

Sometimes there are other problems, for me working in Civil 3d most of the objects are annotative, and sometimes the viewports go crazy, then simply changing the scales back and forth have also resolved the problem.

Also check out the little symbol just above the command line dialog box, next to the scale bar, where it says ANNOTATION VISIBILITY, try turning that one ON or OFF, see if it helps. (I am still using a 2008 version, so not sure if for the 2010 version of autocad it's the same.)

so i found the problem, but not sure why its happening, any ideas?

when i change the scale of the viewport, the annotation scale changes along with the viewport scale. so instead of the annotation scale being locked at 1:1 regardless of the viewport scale, it changes and blows all the text up to be huge. is this a problem with my text style or is there a setting that i can change so that the annotation scale isn't locked to the viewport scale?

also, when i go into model space and just select some text or a dimension, the text becomes huge, but then drops down to normal size when it is deselected. I'm baffled....

When using Annotative text and you are adding mtext to the drawing the height you use should be the plotted height. So you answer the text height question with .125 or 3/32 (whatever you use for plotted height) and the annotation scale is applied to display it at that scale.

You say you want anno text locked at 1:1 regardless of vp scale (I think that is what you were saying) but anno text doesn't work that way. If that is what you want then don't use an annotative scale.

If using annotative text then set the annoscale to the anticipated vp scale and set text height in mtext to plotted scale. Then if you have other vp with different scales you apply other annoscales to the text you want shown in those vp.

so i guess i figured it out (crosses fingers)

apparently some i presses some button to automatically add a scale to annotative objects when annotation scale changes and it added a bunch of scales. what i had to deselect that button, then manually select all text and delete the available annotation scales, leaving only the 1:1 scale.

phew, one problem solved :)

rkent, first, thanks for your help, i really do appreciate it.

I guess i'm not really sure what you mean. It was my belief (and i may well be wrong) that you use an annotative scale so that the text is the same height relative to the model no matter which viewport scale that you use. so i set the text height of my dimensions to be 1'-0" paper height next to my model which is, lets say 20'-0" long. That way no matter which viewport scale i chose, the text and the object are always proportional to each other.

i guess i meant that as more of a question. am i doing something wrong?

• 9 years later...
On 05/06/2010 at 03:14, cegrad said:

so i guess i figured it out (crosses fingers)

apparently some i presses some button to automatically add a scale to annotative objects when annotation scale changes and it added a bunch of scales. what i had to deselect that button, then manually select all text and delete the available annotation scales, leaving only the 1:1 scale.

phew, one problem solved :)

I'm having the same problem. Can you please explain in detail what you did to solve it? Thank you.

Check the current value of your system variable ANNOAUTOSCALE. It determines which scale(s) is assigned to new annotative objects. Or maybe it applies the scale you just activated to all eligible objects, which seems to be the OP's problem.