Apple MAC for CAD

Cubes CDS

Hi all

My computer is now due for an upgrade (3 year shelf life these days)

I have toyed with the idea of buying an Apple Mac after reading good reviews and recommendations.

I use ACAD 2008, SketchUp and various rendering programs, also I will possibly be purchasing Solidworks or Inventor (££ ouch) for my freelance company.

I understand that you can run windows on the Mac's, so are there any pro's or con's for CAD applications etc.

Thanks.

Hi all

My computer is now due for an upgrade (3 year shelf life these days)

I have toyed with the idea of buying an Apple Mac after reading good reviews and recommendations.

I use ACAD 2008, SketchUp and various rendering programs, also I will possibly be purchasing Solidworks or Inventor (££ ouch) for my freelance company.

I understand that you can run windows on the Mac's, so are there any pro's or con's for CAD applications etc.

Thanks.

Hello Cubes, yes you can run Windows on current Intel based Macs. The cons will be the increased price. Macs cost more than PCs, then you will either run boot camp or pay for Parallels and then pay for a copy of either XP or Vista. The Pros would be being able to use some mac only application that you might need or want. As I sad before you will either have to use Apples Boot Camp, Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd10_4/?gclid=CIKNlPPgupUCFQS7sgodOUYnQQ)

or Vmware Fusion (https://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/)

Looks like both cost about $79 plus the cost of a copy of Windows.

I have a few macs myself and while they are cool I thik you would be better off with just a PC unless like I said you have a specific reason for wanting a mac and OSX. Best of luck :)