3D Text on a model

Barn Light

Good Day All,

I am a new AutoCad user but have lots of expierence with another program. I am trying to either burn or petrude text into or onto a 3D model. What is the best way to do it in AutoCad?

forum.png

So I take it this is no easy task in AutoCad, I am useing AC 2011. Jochen has done it in the past, so it can be accomplished, on a revsurf only is that correct?

Jochen has done it in the past, so it can be accomplished, on a revsurf only is that correct?

No, that is incorrect. You can do it on a solid in AutoCAD as far back as I can remember - just takes a bit of extra work compaired to modern 3D tools like Autodesk Inventor. Do your letters one at a time.

So I take it this is no easy task in AutoCad,

Well, It's not a cake-walk but I did this in a few minutes.

Use Express tools to explode your text first. You'll have to explode it, clean it up, convert and join as a continuous polyline. Use "pedit"

3dtxt1.png

Then you can extrude into the solid.

3dtxt2.png

Subtract if you want the letters below the surface.

3dtxt3.png

You can also create a surface for slicing to make a raised letter design

3dtxt4.png

If you don't want hole in your solid with a subtract but you also don't want it raised. Just move the surface to the solid face then slice.

3dtxt5.png

Yes, Inventor does a much better and easier job of it, however, sometimes you have to use what you got...

KC

That lools like a straight extrusion sliced with cylinder - not quite the same as wrapping.

True, however, with a little more effort you can get your text perpendicular to your object by sweeping along a polar arrayed path as such:

wrap_txt.png

Slice the same way or Subtract/imprint if you want.

wrap_txt2.png

That looks like it wraps quite well...

wrap_txt3.png

KC

• 1 year later...
Hello All!

Does someone know how we can wrap a 3D object around a cylinder ... or Autodesk Inventor?

Emboss - Wrap to Face option.

Attach your ipt file here.

CAD2013:

Your thread title mentions text but the question you pose refers to an object. scj has demonstrated, in his post above, that text can be displayed on a 3D object. If you want to see how a 3D object can be wrapped around a cylinder I suggest that you see the duplicate question you posted as a separate thread.

3D_Tree Vase.jpg

First. Because the width of your tree matches the OD of your vase this is kind of how it will look.

Second. It is not a vase or a cylinder until you hollow it out.

Third. I used the SLICE command with the SURFACE option to shape the tree. To get my surfaces I used two arcs. One arc for the OD of the vase and the other for the outside face of the tree.

Since you seem well enough on your way to doing this in Inventor, where it really should be done, there is no need to explain how to do it in AutoCAD at this point.

I recommend that you go through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skillbuilders.

You might also read this document http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

You do not have any sketch geometry to wrap to the face.

If you want to apply the text you will first need to create a Workplane offset from one of the origin planes.

Start a new sketch on that plane and then use the Text tool.

Exit sketch mode and then click the Emboss tool.