3D Solid Dome

johneppen

I'm modeling a simple plastic button cover. It is 1 inch by 1 inch, 10 mils thick, and has a raised dome in the middle with an interior height of .03 inches and a .472 inch diameter also 10 mils thick.

It's easy to make the 10 mil thick square with a circle cutout. I cannot figure out how to make the 10 mil thick dome as a solid and merge it with the flat sheet.

I have made a dome with two poly lines and a straight line and then making it 3d by rotation, but then I cannot make it a solid. Can someone help me? Thanks!

You revolved an open profile. You could try Thicken.

or

Revolve a closed profile.

Attach here what you have so far.

Ok,

1- create your dome in solid

2- union your plaque and your dome

3- Home tab/Solid editing panel/shell

4- Select a 3D solid

5- Remove faces --> ok

6- Enter the shell offset distance: .01 --> ok

Thats it

Bye

Pascal

See result

3d-button1.jpg

1- draw your profile

2- create a boundary Home tab/draw panel

3- create your solid with revolve Home tab/modeling panel

Pascal

1- draw your profile

2- create a boundary Home tab/draw panel

3- create your solid with revolve Home tab/modeling panel

Pascal

What is your method for drawing a profile? I am having a hard time making it a solid. I am making a horizontal line the diameter of my dome, making a vertical line in the center of the horizontal line the height of my dome, making an ellipse, and then removing 3 quadrants of this ellipse. I then rotate the remaining quadrant 360 degrees and I have a dome. There must be an easier way, and using my method I am unable to make it a solid! Very frustrating, I am not very familiar with the 3d commands if you can't tell... Thank you!

Hi,

A drawing is better than a long speech

Here is the method that I use to draw the dome and turn it

For profile them do not forget that the outline must be closed and that is why I use the command boundary to be sure to have a shape closed.

But it is a procedure everything depends your working habits.

Good luck !

Pascal

PS : I attached the drawing

draw dome.jpg

• 3 months later...

hai Pascal HERVET,can u help me, how to draw eliptical dome in autocad 2007, i treid but its not exact one. i have attached the drawing file.

Regards

Hakkim Sait

Hakkim:

I think we've covered this topic before. Try taking a look at the similar threads listed below.

Hmmm.....I checked out the similar threads myself but did not turn up the one I remember and was looking for. Nor did a search on the words "elliptical dome" bring up the thread. However, I did find my attempt at creating one (using AutoCAD 2004), first as a mesh, then converting it to a solid (using the M2S.lsp routine) that might be of help to you. Unfortunately, even after zipping the file its size was too big to post.

If this is any help the way it was done involved working with just a quarter of the ellipse then using the Mirror and Union commands to create the entire dome and make it one entity.

Edited by ReMark

I hope these three images may be of some help to you. The M2S.lsp routine can be found here at CADTutor.

Due to technical difficulties beyond my control the three image files could not be uploaded. As soon as the problem is resolved I will post the images.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Just tried for the second time and still no luck. This is getting annoying.:x

Edited by ReMark

Hi Ahakkimsait,

What kind 3d solid eliptical dome do you want ?

sorry I does not to able to show my image of different dome.

Hi Remark Ihave got the same trouble with uploading ?

Bye

Pascal