Automatic layers

PeterC

Hello everyone, I have MEP 2011 and when I open a new drawing I have these layers like "A-Anno-Scrn" and blocks "Aecb_Duct_Oval_1Line_Retn_Elbow_Drop_Edge" atuo loading in it. I was wondering if there was a way to stop them loading in to my drawings. They are even loading in to exsisting drawings. I have tryed the _Purge _ALL, but will not get rid of them. Thanks in advance.

Hello everyone, I have MEP 2011 and when I open a new drawing I have these layers like "A-Anno-Scrn" and blocks "Aecb_Duct_Oval_1Line_Retn_Elbow_Drop_Edge" atuo loading in it. I was wondering if there was a way to stop them loading in to my drawings. They are even loading in to exsisting drawings. I have tryed the _Purge _ALL, but will not get rid of them. Thanks in advance.

That is the default AEC template, usually from QNEW. Don't use Quick New to create a new drawing, use New and start from scratch, but it's highly recommended that you create your own template and use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I've been using MEP for a while now but have been using the standard UK template. I've now got a collegue of mine modifying the layering system to make our own template. It appears that the layering system is very complex and those layers are required in order for the tools to work correctly, therefore those layers can't be purged.

Whilst modifying the template to use our own layering system we have found that a single drawing drags in information from a number of different standard template drawings. In order to create your own layering system, it's like re-writing the software. I'd suggest using the standard templates otherwise you'll find yourself messing around for weeks and you really have to have good inside information on hoe to customise CUIX Files and the user interface. It blows my mind but luckily one of the girls I work with has been customising cad since release 11 and is hailed as a guru.

If you really want to have a mess you need to go into the CUIX files and also mess around in the manage menu under system defenitions.

Hope this helps!

Haggis

In the older training books I read when I was learning AutoCAD MEP (formally Autodesk Building Systems) the authors even said it is not recommended at all to start from scratch when it comes to Layer Keys and Display Representations.