polygonal vp - losing text

Marc5

Good Morning:

I used a polygonal vp and when I zoom into the view port view from paper space (i am not in the vp) I lose text. Also, when printing I lose text in the polygonal vp. Why is that? Is there a setting I need to do?

Thanks,

Marc

Are you using Autocad? Your profile says Revit.

I have never posted a dwg before on this web site. How do I do it?

Follow the link in my signature. It says "How to add images to your posts", but it also applies to drawings.

So what text is disappearing? I'm not having any trouble over here.

I'm guessing maybe it's a problem with your video card, or possibly a memory issue?

No problem here viewing the drawing through the viewport nor is there one when I did a test print. Zooming through the viewport caused no problems either.

What are your system specs?

Sorry....auto cad 2004 for this project

When I pan out all text is there.....When I pan in text disappears. These pans are in paper space. Also, when I printed, text did not print and did not show up in the preview. The text layer is not turned off etc.

I just tried it again, in the single viewport (same drawing) all works great. In the polygonal viewport, text disappears depending on the zoom level (who close in I am - closer in, the more the text disappears) in paper space.

Any other ideas?

Marc

I can't offer any more ideas because I cannot duplicate the problem on my machine. I can view and print everything just fine. As I said before, I believe it's a graphics or memory problem on your computer. Do you have another machine you can test this file on?

• 4 months later...

No amount of explaining to others on these forums seems to convince those not having the problem that those of us having the problem know what we're doing. I hate feeling like people think I'm an idiot just because I've run into a glitch in CAD that does NOT just boil down to personal settings and that it actually is a bigger issue with the program. I've used AutoCAD daily for 16 years and I've always had this problem as long as I've been using polygonal viewports. It is incredibly time consuming to work around and very frustrating to the point that it changes how I set up my drawing packages. Not anymore!

I found something that works...

First of all, the problem seems to lie in using a True Type Font (like Arial) in a polygonal viewport for any kind of text. If you don't want to sacrifice text style and return to the engineer's style of Simplex or Roman TXT, save and close your drawing and shut down AutoCAD. Next, right click the icon that launches AutoCAD and open Properties (at the bottom of the pop up list). Click on the Compatibility tab at the top of the properties window and uncheck every check box under settings but keep Disable Desktop Composition turned on. Click Apply, then Okay. Relaunch AutoCAD and voilà! No more disappearing text!~

Thanks for updating us and sharing your solution.

You've just pointed out one more reason why not to use TrueType fonts in an AutoCAD drawing. We've gotten so enamored of fancy fonts we forget that were are using a CAD program not a word processing program.