Autocad MEP, who is really using the program?

myself

Here is the link:

http://www.tannarzane.com/files/Providence_Coordination.zip

There are two main files designed in AutoCAD MEP 2010: M-FP01.DWG & M-FP02.DWG. These represent each floor of mechanical ductwork. The roof plan is XREF'ed into the M-FP02 file (named M-RP.DWG). The other two DWG files are simply the 2D architectural backgrounds. If you have Navisworks Freedom Viewer, you can view the Navisworks file that has all the 3D architectural, structural, truss webbing, piping/plumbing, and electrical files combined to get the entire building model.

Enjoy. 8)

Nice & decent work.

Thank you very very much.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• blackeagle1245

• viviancarvalho

• pvandrew

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

hello,

Stykface your project is really good. It would be very helpful for everyone I guess. I have questions. Can we see riser diagram in mep?. And Is there a way for annotating automatically for ducts?.

Thanks in advance

Single Line riser diagrams cannot be done easily straight from a model such as the one I posted. You can use the Schematic workspace to generate something like that. And yes you can automatically annotate duct very easily. Open the HVAC Tool Palette, click on the Annotation tab. From there you can use the Label tool. Or type LABELCURVEADD.

Thanks for quick answer. And I wonder to walk in the project as you did in navisworks do we need to do anything special ?. I have never done that is this a special progress or just to open it with that program. I have been tring to use the Mep for approximately 2 months so I have many thing to learn.

AutoCAD MEP doesn't have the same unique 3D navigation tools as Navisworks. Plus, Navisworks loads the file in a special way to greatly increase performance from it's own compression techniques, which makes the performance far better when compared to AutoCAD MEP. You'll need a high end computer to fly around the 3D rendered model in AutoCAD MEP with ease.

But, I do have a tip for you. :)

Download and install Autodesk Design Review if you haven't already. Also, download and install Autodesk Navisworks Freedom. Now, as you're designing in AutoCAD MEP and you want to use Navisworks to fly around the model, then here's what you do. In AutoCAD MEP, type PUBLISH. From here, delete the layout tabs, leaving only the Model available. Under "Publish To" choose DWFx, and click the checkbox that says "3D DWF". When you create the DWFx file, you can then open this file in Navisworks Freedom and use this as a 3D navigation tool instead of AutoCAD MEP. Hope this helps you some.

Thank you very much. In fact I have a lot of questions. But first of all I would like to learn of your working strategy for 3d working in mep. What advices could you give me as a general?. I think you are very experinced with this program. I need a lot of advices and tips :) Thanks again.

I need to record and upload a video tutorial. I've been thinking about it. Hmmm.... maybe a weekend project for me? :whistle:

I have just one video before. Try it... it's on YouTube, and make sure to select the HD video and make it full screen:

Thanks a lot . In fact I just need a video while you are just working. If you try to do it as a tutorial it would be easier I guess. Because you may see the things are normal but for beginner users like me could be very important. And shortcuts,tips we can learn a lot. If you could It would be just perfect. Thanks for the video by the way.

Oh I understand. A video that simulates "looking over my shoulder". These types of educating videos work wonders, and would be the way I would do it. Plus, I need to write down all my little tips and techniques that I personally have learned and do a video of just those as well. That's where the real fun is at for beginners.

At least the way that I describe you dont need to spend any effort just need to start the program. :) I think experience is the best teacher for the people who really want to learn these programs. We are waiting for your videos and tips.

We are waiting for your videos and tips.
I wouldn't hold my breath... but I'll see what I can do. If I'm going to put forth the effort, I'll make them good for all who watch. :)

I'm reading posts to learn more. And I saw your posts that you wrote

Originally Posted by Strix viewpost-right.png

If you're willing to learn, our members have all the time in the world for you

Couldn't have said it better. The reason why I give as much as possible back, is because if you go back 4+ years and read my first set of posts, you'll find out that I owe almost everything of my skills to this forum and the people involved. This board was the foundation of launching my career and helping create my passion and talent. And still I have such a long ways to go, Lord Almighty do I. 8)

Now I'm passing throught the way you passed 3 years ago. I may have very easy questions but I guess in this forum everybody helps to everyone. Thats what I'm going to do it also as soon as I learn :)

I have two questions. I'm first taking my original architectural dwg as element. (I'm opening it and saving it as an element. ) Then I change the things which I want. Then I open category in construct then I create construct e.g Hvac first floor. Then I attach element to this construct. Is this a true way to work?.

For example I need to draw a duct from ground to roof. How can I do that?. I mean is there a way to see that in second floor plan? Or in general view when I put all the things together.

Thanks and sorry for long post :)

• 2 years later...