is there an arc length function?

gargoyle27

I had the same problem, i didn't get the arc command in that menu

all i ended up doing was sketching on the drawing and dimensioning off that, and replacing the degree measurement with the length, normally i don't replace dimensions, but i didn't see any other way

and as far as the cut threads go, yes they do look better, but it was mostly about the head machinist not being familiar with the dotted line to indicate threads, so he wanted it to be more obvious on drawings, and i also have an older crumbier computer and i can see my assemblies getting weird and blocky after only having one or two cut thread pieces in it out of around 100 or so total pieces in the assembly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopinc

• gargoyle27

• JD Mather

• MarkFlayler

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

J.D. - I was selecting the arc itself and not the end points. Mark you are not going to believe this, but I have just tried again and now the options are appearing under the RMB. ---- *#%# (expletive deleted).

I just don't get it??? I have done nothing different to what I have tried several times before. I knew that this dimensioning function should exist as I have used it in V.2009, but it just was not appearing.

Dave

Mark, I owe you an appology and thanks, I have just discovered that the arc sketch in the model I posted was not on the true center of the extrusion. I have since adjusted it and followed your directions in your previous post. The only thing you missed in your instructions was the need to create a new sketch and project the arc geometry before applying the dimension - that actually worked this time and came up with the arc length option - go figure!

Dave

Gargoyle27, I will attempt to explain how I got this to work.

First of all you need to create an offset horizontal plane through the centres of the holes. Create a sketch on the plane and project the cut edges. Create a circle directly over the outer projected circular. Trim the new circle so you have two short arcs between any two of the radial holes. Now draw axis lines from the mid points of these arcs to the centre of the extrusion.

Create another circle, exactly as you have just done and trim it to these axes, this is the true arc length between centres. Remove the two short arcs you created first.

Create your plan view in a drawing. RMB on the part name in the history tree and "Get model sketches." Once it has come through select the dotted edge of the drawing view border and create a new sketch. Project the arc. Select dimension and select the arc itself. As the radius appears move your cursor away slightly and press the RMB, the "Dimension Type" option should appear.

BTW - my apologies for hijacking your thread.

Regards all.

Dave

honestly, i have no idea what you just said, so i'm supposed to make new work planes in the iam and that will somehow translate to lines in the idw? i am a little baffled by this idea

i also don't know what a "plan view" or "history tree" is

keep in mind i have virtually zero formal training in inventor, everything i know i've learned over the past few months of fiddling, i know the basic functions inside and out, but not a lot more

don't worry about trying to explain it, i got what i did to work, so its all good

Gargoyle27, I will attempt to explain how I got this to work.

First of all you need to create ....

Sounds like wayyyy too much work to me.

... i am a little baffled by this idea...

Did I miss something, or did you ever post your file (as I suggested) in one of the two threads you started on different forums for this problem?

All I saw you post is image files. I am not familiar with editing image files in Inventor.

I suspect the idw approach would be trivially simple, if only I had a file.....

yes i also posted it on the autodesk website, i go by g_warner there, i saw you there too, and laughed to myself for a second

i have just been printscreening and pasting in paint and attaching jpgs, little easier than attaching a big iam with all the associated ipts (i don't have winzip)

(i don't have winzip)

Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 have built in compression.

In Windows Explorer right click on filename and select Send to Compressed (zipped) folder. (Actually you don't have to be in Explorer - but it is Explorer that does the zipping).

If the file is still too large drag the red End of Part marker to the top of the browser before saving and zipping with Windows Explorer.

oh ok, well i'll have to use that in the future, (at home i use winrar to (de)compress things and i can't install it as i don't have admin rights so i didn't think of that and i couldn't find winzip itself)

either way, i got the problem (essentially) solved, so i consider this particular matter closed :D

if you could help with my error issue it would be much appreciated

Sorry for confusing you Gargoyle27, I assumed that you were more familiar with Inventor than you obviously are. As long as you have found a working solution that you are happy with that is all that matters at the end of the day.

J.D. - "wayyy too much work" - It took a lot longer to explain than it did to do, but even so time is money, so go on then let's hear your solution?

Dave

Edited by Hopinc