Microstation Users

nocturne00

Hi all :D

its a long time since I posted, hope everyone is well.

I dont know where to post this, but i really need some input. Im at a new job and their main software is Microstation,,, im literally back to zero on this one,,, the ways and means are so different.

But ive got only some basic questions, (hoping for answers)

-Equivalent of Xline/Ray in Microstation

-Multiview in MS

-Copy with basepoint/ Paste original coordinates (for working with xrefs)

*lots more, but that would be pushing it :D , and does anyone know a good microstation based forum, searched google already but im hoping for a good referal

TIA.. Cheers

Agreed communities.bentley-dot-com is a great starting point.

You can also download our free MicroStation knowledge base from our website.

envisioncad-dot-com/knowledge-base/

Are you using V8i?

with Accudraw and smartlines you shouldn't really need xline/xray

with microstation you can have up to 8 different view windows. there are buttons along the bottom of the screen and theres an option in a menu. you'll need to use a 3d seed file for 3d drawings.

Thanks for the replies guys. just to confirm, this is the website right? http://communities.bentley.com/products/MicroStation/MicroStation_V8i/default.aspx

@dtaylor- thanks for the tips, im currently looking into the potentials of the smartline, its acts like a polyline in cad but more diverse in actions.

sorry for the multiview part, i should have clarified- im looking for the acad equivalent of viewports in microstation, how to make views in paperspace, Im looking into achieving it using fences but Im sort of stuck

ya that's the site, although the look and format has completely changed since the last time I visited. Hopefully information that has been posted throughout the years is still accessible. Never the less everyone there seemed to be really helpful, understanding, and knowledgeable. Bentley employees also monitor and contribute to the site. I once was looking for a few various add-on/utilities for Microstation, but they hadn't been released yet and were still in an unreleased beta state going through product testing. I sent one of the more helpful employees a PM about it and he immediately got back to me and sent me the files only asking that i report any problems that I ran into, which I haven't had to do yet (haven't used MS in a while though).

Also these tutorials may possibly be helpful. They were created by one of my professors. He's the one who taught me the basics of MS a while ago.

http://www.youtube.com/user/captnwill#p/u

there's other videos on youtube, some even by the envisioncad people who posted above, although i've never checked out their videos and the first time i saw there website was yesterday.

Yep, ive ended up searching youtube, :)

I got shy asking questions in the bentley community coz my questions are just basic, all the threads I saw were more advanced stuff.

thanks again for the help, hopefully ill get used with this software

Cheers

i was a bit shy at first too back when I asked my first questions there as a college freshman, but they were more than helpful and I never received a response that made me feel stupid or any that had a condescending tone like i should have known such a simple function of which I was asking.

-Equivalent of Xline/Ray in Microstation

There is no equivalent element type in MSTN, as pointed out try looking at AccuDraw.

-Multiview in MS (later defined as paper space view ports)

I have always looked at viewports as holes cut into the paper looking at the model. MicroStation takes a different approach to this where it lays the model on top of the paper and clips out the portion not desired. Take a look at referencing and the reference tools (clip boundary, scale, etc).

-Copy with basepoint (broke it two items)

Copy with basepoint can be done by tentative snapping to the point you want to be the base point and the doing copy or ctrl c. When you paste the snapped point will be the basepoint.

- Paste original coordinates (for working with xrefs)

MicroStation takes a different approach here also. If you have the elements referenced you can simply copy the referenced items through with the copy command.

hth,

~john.

• 3 months later...

hey guys,

where are the most helpful places to go for microstation user tips, because I need to get back into it after using autocad for the last couple of years and losing track a bit with microstation?

many thanks to anyone with the answer

br0604bom,

I personally like envisioncad-dot-com ;) Tips, Training Manuals, Freeware

there is also eatyourcad-dot-com

and communities.bentley-dot-com

HTH,

Bob Mecham

I personally like envisioncad-dot-com ;) Tips, Training Manuals, Freeware

We got it, dude... Mentioning your site twice in the same thread is enough. :glare:

When you become a full member, put it your signature, and be done with it.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the nice things about MS is that when you have another design file referenced (XREF in AutoCAD) you can easily copy entities from the reference into your own design file (something you can't easily do in AutoCAD). Select the element, copy it, select base point, select insertion point (always the same point) and you have the element now in your design file. You can also use multiple select or a fence.

We use it a lot and find it extremely helpful.

We have MS95, SE, V8 (2oo4) and V8i.

One of the nice things about MS is that when you have another design file referenced (XREF in AutoCAD) you can easily copy entities from the reference into your own design file (something you can't easily do in AutoCAD). Select the element, copy it, select base point, select insertion point (always the same point) and you have the element now in your design file. You can also use multiple select or a fence.

Nice to be back on this thread.

Yep thats one advantage of references in MS. I'm a bit used to MS now since i first started this thread, I'm just hoping that I dont loose my edge on Autocad :unsure: .

Both softwares has its own pros and cons, but AutoCAD is just a lot more mature, metaphorically speaking.

MicroStation is required by a few major clients, that's why we have so many versions. One even still requires in MS95 format, its the only version they have.

But after saying that AutoCAD 2000 to 2011 (including MAP and Civil 3D 2007 - 2011) is our preferred software and the one that we use most.

We've used other CAD software in the past, but it has now narrowed itself down to either AutoCAD or MicroStation.

The customer is King and if you want his money you use the CAD system he demands.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the feedback guys,

i really need to get back into MS after a long time out, even after using autocad for the last year and a half, I still prefer MS