Welcome to the upgraded CADTutor forums!

CADTutor

David, is is possible to add the option to insert code brackets from Quick Reply?

Not easily, but here's a workaround for now - use the Quote tags and change "QUOTE" to "CODE"

I'll add it to my list of "nice to have" features.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CADTutor

• alanjt

• rkmcswain

• Lee Mac

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a longer answer than I intended to give but it hopefully gives you some idea.

Thanks - I'll give it a go and see what the results are, thanks for the explanation.

This is very much a vB thing. It caused quite a bit of consternation when it was launched but the basis is that most replies are made using Quick Reply and so that is now the default. It's quicker and the new Ajax technology means that it can be done in-place, which is impressive. So, file this one under "get used to it". The one thing I'd like to see is a smilie drop-down in the Quick Reply editor - that's the thing I miss most from the full editor.

I agree - I miss the smilies too - I can't remember all the character codes for them and so end up just clicking Go Advanced everytime (hence my frustration). Also the Quick Reply box is pretty 'short' to use your terminology from the other thread. I'm sure I'll get used to it all however.

Not easily, but here's a workaround for now - use the Quote tags and change "QUOTE" to "CODE"

I'll add it to my list of "nice to have" features.

No worries. I was just curious if it was possible to implement.

No worries. I was just curious if it was possible to implement.

Actually, I've been doing some rooting around and it seems that I could add both smilies and a code tag to the Quick Reply controls with a template hack. I'll try it out on my test board and see how it goes.

what a pleasant suprise to come back to a new and revamped site. it looks great. kudos.

Thanks o:)

Actually, I've been doing some rooting around and it seems that I could add both smilies and a code tag to the Quick Reply controls with a template hack. I'll try it out on my test board and see how it goes.

Thanks o:)

Sweet!

BTW, I realized that if you double-click Reply or Reply with Quote, it will take you to the advanced editor.

OK, as you can see, I've been able to add both CODE and Smilie buttons to Quick Reply. A big improvement I think.

For my own records, here is a before and after comparison:

quick-reply.png

Boy am I good to you guys! :wink:

Houston...I just encountered a problem.

I clicked on Quick Links above and a few of the options do not appear or are only partially displayed. It's like a mask has been put over the dropdown box.

Time now is 12:33 p.m. on the east coast of the U.S.A.

Anyone else observe this problem?

I clicked on Quick Links above and a few of the options do not appear or are only partially displayed. It's like a mask has been put over the dropdown box. Anyone else observe this problem?

Works OK here (Firefox 3.6.6)

Just tried again. The area that seems to be missing is equivalent to the height of the Ads by Google display box.

I'm using IE ver 7.0.5.5130.13.

Yes, there is a display glitch in IE7 that causes pop-up elements to be displayed below some elements of the interface (Google ads being one of them). This is currently logged as a bug in vB. The problem does not occur in IE8, FF, Chrome or Safari so if you can use anything other than IE7, that would solve it for you.

EDIT: Just checked the bug tracker for vB and it is slated to be fixed in the next upgrade (4.0.6). No date on that yet but is likely to be weeks rather than months.

Thank you for that piece of information David.

At home I use Firefox. Think I'll switch over to it here at work too.

I think you answered your own question. :lol:

I know David already answered, but I'll take any opportunity I can to rag on IE.

Sweet!

BTW, I realized that if you double-click Reply or Reply with Quote, it will take you to the advanced editor.

Duuuuude!

Nice find 8)

IE is by far the most useless of all browsers. If you use any other browser then you'd be doing yourself a favor. I like the new FF 4.0b Beta. Not quite as fast as Chrome but close. Anyways, you can Google anything regarding IE and why it (1) is the worst browser ever due to lack of HTML, CSS, Javascript, etc and (2) why programmers hate it so much because once you create for web use, you have to then go back and re-program it to somewhat work with IE.

My best friend is a very experienced web programmer and I'm just taking his words.

All true (although IE8 is not bad and IE9 looks like it may even rival the other browsers for standards compliance and support of future technologies) but my opinion is that the vB developers were negligent in allowing a product to be launched that didn't work properly in one of the most common of browsers (IE7). Bug fixes are on the way but it's not a good way to run a business.

All true (although IE8 is not bad and IE9 looks like it may even rival the other browsers for standards compliance and support of future technologies) but my opinion is that the vB developers were negligent in allowing a product to be launched that didn't work properly in one of the most common of browsers (IE7). Bug fixes are on the way but it's not a good way to run a business.
Why program for a worthless browser with almost zero support for standard development languages? Why not push the browser market with certain version requirements to shift users in a forward progression instead of allowing Microsoft to continue holding up the entire web development process with all the new features that are already available? That's the way I see it. Most users don't know this and simply follow Microsoft's product releases. This way, with certain large names in the web development world, it's the developers who are trying to force Microsoft to get on the bandwagon and start pushing for the latest releasing in browsers with full support, such as IE9.