inv 08 rotate sketch

Newbie2010

Hello

I cannot rotate geo in a sketch to an exact dimension. I am only allowed to move it by hand or mouse. When I type in 36 deggrees it does nothing. What eactly is it that I need to do that I am not being told?

I select rotate button while in a sketch

I select the geo

I tell it x 0 y 0 for center point ( since it will not allow me to pick the z axis)

then it will only allow me to move the geo by mouse nothing more exact than that.

Is this really how the software is suppose to work or am I missing an important step?

Is there a reason why you cannot use the z axis for your rotation center point when rotating geo in a sketch?

Thank you

do you mean you are trying to rotate the sketch? you would start by creating a work plane to the angle you want, then sketching, you can't (as far as i know) rotate it after you've created the sketch

Is this really how the software is suppose to work or am I missing an important step?

I don't think so, but then why do you need to rotate a sketch? Zip and attach your file here.

Hello thanks for your reply.

No I mean I need to rotate the sketch geometry around the 0,0,0 point which is both the center of the sketch and the entire assembly. Opps I forgot to say that I am in an assembly adding grooves just like it would be done in manufacturing ( after the assembly is completed then we add grooves ).

The inventor help says you can and even has a animation of it, but I cannot get the sketch geom. to rotate to the exact location. I need it to be 36.0 not 35.973 which is about as close as I can get it with my hand.

When I type in 36 it does nothing or ignors it. Is this software working properly or am I missing a step.

Thanks

Inventor helps says yes. I need to rotate it because it is not in the correct locaition. If I rotate it around the center 36 degrees it is done. Is there another way or rotating maybe the part?

totally confused

you can easily rotate a work plane before you sketch on it, it lets you input the angle directly, have you tried that?

Completed. I had to use acad to get it done, but whatever works. There must be a step that the animation is missing, or my software is not working properly or this software was not written very well before it's release.

Thanks, but I got it done now.

Inventor helps says yes. I need to rotate it because it is not in the correct locaition. If I rotate it around the center 36 degrees it is done. Is there another way or rotating maybe the part?

totally confused

or this software was not written very well before it's release.

You need training. This is trivially simple, much easier than using AutoCAD. Zip and attach your assembly here if you are interested in learning how it should have been done in Inventor.

did you try what i said? this is the way i do it, works perfectly, altho it might be different in the version you are using, are you using inventor 8 or inventor 2008?

Completed. I had to use acad to get it done, but whatever works. There must be a step that the animation is missing, or my software is not working properly or this software was not written very well before it's release.

Thanks, but I got it done now.

Can you post a screen shot of your inventor and Acad screens. I know you got it working but curious as to what exactly you were attempting to do...

KC