reference images disappeared?

br0604bom

can someone tell me why my reference images have disappeared from the planes I set them up on some time back?

I have not moved the jpegs from where they were referenced from, so it is not that.

when i open up the file it shows a dialogue box with all the missing files

is there some toggle where I can switch them all back on??

many thanks to anyone with an answer

You must have moved them, or changed the name of the folder where they are located or did something to alter the path that Max has for them. To get them back, just open the Material Editor, find the material slot where the image is supposed to be and just specify the new location by clicking the button under "Bitmap Parameters" that has the old image location displayed on it. The images will come back in exactly as they were before.

Untitled-1.jpg

You must have moved them, or changed the name of the folder where they are located or did something to alter the path that Max has for them. To get them back, just open the Material Editor, find the material slot where the image is supposed to be and just specify the new location by clicking the button under "Bitmap Parameters" that has the old image location displayed on it. The images will come back in exactly as they were before.

cad64, thanks for the reply, I am trying to reattach them which does not seem to be working, does it matter if you select a bitmap or a jpeg, is one better to attach than another?

i remember having difficulties with that in the past,

also one more thing please, when I am in the drawing with four gray planes and I go to select the whole thing, only one planes is being selected and the rest do not, even if i click on each one individually, the thing is I cannot turn off any freeze they might have on them through properties if i cannot select them!!!!

cheers

Ok, now that you've provided more information, I think this is starting to make sense. You have selected these planes, opened the Object Properties and checked the "Freeze" option, correct? That is why you cannot see the reference images. Whenever you "Freeze" an object, you have to uncheck "Show Frozen in Gray". This will allow you to Freeze the object, but you will still be able to see the image on the surface. If you don't uncheck "Show Frozen in Gray", then your object will just turn gray and you won't be able to see the image you have applied.

If you want to UnFreeze these planes, just right click anywhere in the viewport and select "UnFreeze All".

Untitled-1.jpg

Ok, now that you've provided more information, I think this is starting to make sense. You have selected these planes, opened the Object Properties and checked the "Freeze" option, correct? That is why you cannot see the reference images. Whenever you "Freeze" an object, you have to uncheck "Show Frozen in Gray". This will allow you to Freeze the object, but you will still be able to see the image on the surface. If you don't uncheck "Show Frozen in Gray", then your object will just turn gray and you won't be able to see the image you have applied.

If you want to UnFreeze these planes, just right click anywhere in the viewport and select "UnFreeze All".

ok, i have done the 'unfreeze all', that got me to be able to select the others, cheers for that,

but they do not have 'show frozen in gray' clicked on, as you can see from this image, they are all like that, but now i have unclicked the freeze, they are still gray, do i still have to go back and reselect them or something??

as you can tell I am something of a beginner but I am damned if it will beat me!!:-)

this is my screen

2qwzas7.jpg

Ok, open your Materials Editor, click to select the material slot that holds your reference image and then click the "Show Map in Viewport" button.

yes i have it all done now, thanks very much,

i was pretty sure though that I had not moved them, everytime i clicked on bitmap parameters it opened up the scenes folder, whch made me think that everything needs to be in there but surely not?

i will keep an eye on it and try to use it more often, it was a while back that i first set them up,

thank you very much for your help cad 64