Error opening posts logs me off.

Dana W

On the whole I really like the new forum software but I have had the following happen to me twice now.

I open a post to read it and immediately, IE 8 displays a message balloon at the top of the screen that dissapears too fast for me to read completely. It goes something like "An error has forced IE to run this program in Compatability Mode."

Within the opened post, which happens to be about another error, I see adds with the "Registered users do not see this add" caption. See attachment of the one that just occurred. Sorry, the message balloon is gone.

When I navigate back to the "New Posts" search results, I discover I am logged off.

I am sure that I was logged on both times this occurred.

Is it IE 8 or something in the forum software?

I know nobody here likes IE but I have it now and I have to share this computer with my wife who took 4 years to learn IE. Don't tell her I said that.:shock:

To continue more of the related circumstances, having come in this forum to open this thread, I tried to load the below attachment and discovered that once again I was logged off upon opening the attachment manager. This time, it had been no more than 1 minute since I re-logged on.

Hopefully this is something of a known bug that may go away soon.

post.jpg

Have you tried Firefox, Chrome, or Safari to see if one or more of those DO work...?

I remember reading that there were some issues with IE, but I don't know if this was specifically one of them....

Have you tried Firefox, Chrome, or Safari to see if one or more of those DO work...?

I remember reading that there were some issues with IE, but I don't know if this was specifically one of them....

I don't remember seeing this particular occurance mentioned before. Have not tried either of the other browsers yet. This has happened to me only in the last 12 hours. I am planning to give another browser a try very soon, just wanted to get the word out so others will know it's not just Karma:D

I figgered out a condition. I get logged off if the post I open has a code window in it. I made it do it to me three times in a row.

I figgered out a condition. I get logged off if the post I open has a code window in it. I made it do it to me three times in a row.

OK, thanks, I'll check that out - we are having a few problems with CODE windows. I can confirm that it only happens in IE8. Firefox, Chrome etc. are fine.

OK, thanks, I'll check that out - we are having a few problems with CODE windows. I can confirm that it only happens in IE8. Firefox, Chrome etc. are fine.

THX. I guess I will learn Firefox as a second browser then. After all, My kids all took a second language in school. :wink: Wouldn't want it said this ol' redneck is not adaptable.:roll:

If it helps, had it happen again when opening a post with a code window, but this time I was not logged off. I saw the windows (IE 8 ) message bubble about switching to 'Compatability Mode' still.

The only difference was that I had checked the "Remember Me' box.

At least I know how to prevent being logged off by surprise now. It never bothered me to get logged off by time out while pondering the spelling or wording of a reply for a long time so I didn't check the box very often.

Edited by Dana W
deleted spontanious smilyface.

...................... This has happened to me only in the last 12 hours. ..................

I have had a few strange problems with IE8 since a Windows automatic update yesterday. I believe it was a security update to do with cookies.

(They also got me in February with the one they had to withdraw and re-release because it left thousands of PCs around the world only booting to the blue-screen-of-death).

Will do a google to see if there are any reported problems with yesterdays update.

If it helps, had it happen again when opening a post with a code window, but this time I was not logged off. I saw the windows (IE 8 ) message bubble about switching to 'Compatability Mode' still.

The only difference was that I had checked the "Remember Me' box.

At least I know how to prevent being logged off by surprise now. It never bothered me to get logged off by time out while pondering the spelling or wording of a reply for a long time so I didn't check the box very often.

Yes, I've experienced the same thing with IE8 and it's definitely something to do with CODE blocks. It's on my list of things to sort out. There is likely to be an incremental upgrade of vB next week and many of the fixes are browser related. Hopefully it will include a fix for this issue.

Thx for the involvement. If it is of any further aid, I keep my IE 8 security level settings very low and the windows firewall off, since I have very effective other security measures installed. I used to have uncountable functional issues with IE before I turned its internal nanny down. I think that MS may be a little too security concious for its own good. Too much code, not enough testing.