How to bend it...

nikhil

hi hopinc....its really gr8 to know dat except J.D sumone else also joined in to help me....i am never worried about any kind of negative comments bcos i am here to learn and not teach anyone,as i told everyone i am very much new to inventor and i want to learn...so i am fine with everything.

i am really very thankful to you since u took of some time from your busy life and created a design to help me out...yes i am thinking of making "1U" and not "2U" rack mount chassis....this is more of the practice work i am doing before i"ll be jumping to the real deal which will start within few 2 weeks and that's the reason i am more worried.

As far as the training for this software goes,there are hardly any institutes which teaches this software..here they concentrate more on autocad.that's why i am gathering study materials from internet.....i also wanted to ask if there are any books which i can buy to learn this software.

i"ll try to get the feature recognition program form autodesk labs.

once again thanks alot hopinc...i really appreciate what you did for me.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nikhil

• JD Mather

• Hopinc

• Mike_Taylor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi J.D i am sure u"ll help me out whenever u"ll get time. i "ll keep in mind about the correct steps i should be taking to use sheet metal tool....as far as the dimensions are concerned i haven't received it yet.but roughly its around 270mm W X 401mm D X 52mm H

Hi Nikhil,

You are welcome.

Books are available to teach you everything you need to know, most include a tutorial CD/DVD. Amazon is a good place to look. One that springs to mind is "Autodesk Inventor 2008 Essentials Plus," but there are others. The Autodesk labs programs are free downloads. Here is a link: http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/feature_recognition/. The file contains versions up to and including 2011. You won't actually need it unless you import files from other systems, e.g. an .igs file.

Quote: " ...but roughly its around 270mm W X 401mm D X 52mm H" - These size are nowhere near correct for a 1U 19" rack mounting unit?

1U is nominally 44.45mm high (i.e. 1.75"), so with clearance of approx 0.8mm (1/32") applied, the front panel of a 1U chassis is 483.0mm wide x 43.6mm High.

2U front panel= 483.0mm W x 88.1mm H

3U front panel= 483.0mm W x 132.5mm H

Chassis width at the rear of the front panel is normally 432.0mm.

Depth is a little dependent on the rack in use, but I have designed racks with a maximum of 642.0mm from the back of the front panel. Normal averages are somewhere around 200.0mm deep to 380.0mm (approximate sizes). As you can see there can be quite a variance in this dimension.

If you are definitely intending to make your unit 19" rack mounting then you need to revise your sizes a little.

Regards.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc

I am going to start out real slow and then adjust speed depending on how it goes.

Step 1 Turn on the Origin Center Point in the browser so that you can see it.

Sketch a line near the origin.

Add a coincident constraint between the midpoint of the line and the projected origin.

Add the dimension shown.

Zip and attach the file here.

Step1.png

hi Dave,

well the dimensions for the chassis is gona be some what i already mentioned,since we are manufacturing p.c.b's on our own as well as we are trying to fit in 2 boards one above the other and thats the reason its not coming upto standard 1U size,the length and width are of std. 1U size but the height is gona be 52mm, so u can say its between 1U and 2U if i am right...also till now the dimensions are not final as yet...there still some thinking done on this.lets see how it turns out to be.

i"ll try to look out for the book u mentioned...i might get the inventor 11 software soon.but it depends on my company.i did tried to download the feature recognition from autodesk labs but i guess the servers are down.so i am not able to download it for now.also can u send me this file in my mail...my mail id is niks_131@india.com

thanks once again Dave

Hi Nickhil,

The feature recognition file is a little on the large size for email at 8MB but I will send it anyway and hopefully you will receive it. If you get a long slow email download it is probably this file causing it :thumbsup:

Re the stacked PCBS - if you are looking for board interconnects have a look at "Samtec" - the catalogue is a little complex but a phone call and the girls that answer the call will be able to tell you exactly what you need if you can tell them the spacing between the boards and how many pins, gold or tin plate, etc., you want.

If you need something like this go to: www.samtec.com

Regards.

Dave

Sorry Nickhil, I can sent the file but you cannot recieve it:

:

Error 01373: User's Disk Quota Exceeded.

Sorry, your intended recipient has too much mail stored

in his mailbox.

Your message totalled 10468 Kbytes.

Dave

hi Dave...i'll try to empty my mail box

i have downloaded the feature recognition software from autodesk labs and have installed the 2008 version of it but still i am not able to open the zip file that u sent me

Sorry Nikhil, I don't use Skype - the reason being that I bought a high performance HD web cam that came with drivers for everything EXCEPT the XP x64 O/S I am using. I am going to wait until I change to Windows 7 before implimenting Skype so I can use the camera at the same time. However, I don't anticipate doing that anytime soon as I have other more pressing priorities.

If you have got the file downloaded and installed it's sorted anyway.

Dave

this is the error i am getting....even after installing the feature recognition...i"ll try to restart my p.c an see if it works....

untitled.JPG

Dave i tried restarting my p.c but still its not working...dont seems to understand whats happening...if u can try sending the file to my mail id now...may be it may work bcos i have removed maximum mails...so i might b able to receive it now...i really apologize for the trouble i am giving u..

Just before I do, and please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are you certain you installed the correct O/S version of the program? There are both x86 (32bit) and x64 (64 bit) versions in the zip file as well as for different versions of Inventor, i.e. 2008 to 2011. You must select the one appropriate to your O/S and Inventor.

Dave

i did install the right version Dave my p.c is of 32bit so installed the file for the same and also the inventor version is right since the 64 bit version wont work on my system...so i have installed the right version

nikhil

OK, then I believe that this message is telling you is that the file you are trying to open was created with a newer version of Inventor.

It is sad, but true, that a later version of Inventor will not write backwards compatible files, unlike AutoCAD.

Regards.

Dave

ya exactly...i guess this is what it means,will this file work in autocad 2010,bcos thats installed on my system so i can use it from there also

Hang on! - so you are trying to open an AutoCAD 2010 file within Iventor 2008? That simply won't work!

What are you hoping to achieve by doing this anyway? You cannot edit the AutoCAD drawing file within Inventor, if you opened an AutoCAD file within Inventor you can only really measure, cut and paste, and a few other minor things. You might as well open AutoCAD itself and then cut and paste from that into the Inventor sketcher. That way you will not have a problem with them being different date versions.

Dave

no u got me wrong.....what i am saying is will this inventor file that u sent me will open in autocad 2010... and not vice versa

can i open inventor files in autocad....this is what i am asking and not the other way round

Firstly, you cannot open an Inventor .ipt (part file) or .iam (assembly) file in AutoCAD.

Nor can you run an add-on program intended for Inventor and expect it to load into AutoCAD. There would be no point doing that anyway as it is intended to recognise and create features based on IGES, SAT or STEP files.

FYI - you can create AutoCAD standard drawings of components and assemblies within Inventor (various versions, e.g. 2007) which you will be able to open with your copy of AutoCAD. Be careful though, any changes made to the AutoCAD drawing will not be automatically reflected in your solid models.

I thought you had Inventor 2008 running? If you have all you have to do is execute the "feature recognition" program and it will install automatically.

Dave

Edited by Hopinc